Negotiating New/Used Car Prices.

Paddleless

I'm looking at buying a car from a SIMI Registered Dealership. Based on DoneDeal the average price for the car I'm trading in is 1,100 euro or so. If the Dealership advertise a car for 10,000 what would be a good target price to negotiate them down to? Taking a way the trade-in they would be asking for say 8,900. Any tips on negotiating better prices?

Sell your car on DoneDeal for circa €1,000.

Then buy the new one for a cash price of circa €9,000.

I recently traded in my old car (15 yrs BMW 320). I had done the rounds of garages and the most offered off the new car was 700 and the least was 250. However, the garage offering 250 really wanted to sell and I haggled down the price and an NCT cert thrown in with warranty so got about 600 for old car It struck me that the garage probably would have given more to sell their car as they need turnover of stock and cash like any business. I'll haggle harder the next time! As for Donedeal- you have the hassle of meeting buyers, test drives and haggling yourself; it might be worth all that in the end, but personally it was too much like hard work for me!

Thank you to both of you for your feedback. Re 'haggling prices down' any tips for doing that?

Iv found best way get deal is try n get more for your trade in, say your just not happy, others giving more etc...also get as much thrown in on new car as possible, it all adds up...extended warranty, mats, yr valet, tax paid, etc

I always trade but husbands has a van so always donedeals, he prices it to clear quickly as otherwise tyre kickers, no shows etc, ,,, he get better deal straight deal anyway....

There is always margin when trading in a car. You'll get more from a garage than from a private sale...full tank of petrol tax etc. .

I managed to trade in my car to the same garage I bought it from for more. I still can't believe i managed it!