Negotiating new car price

paddyodoors

Hi

anyone any tips on negotiating with a car dealing when buyiong a new car....or even a secondhand car for that matter - probably warrants two differnt approches.

Have a car to trade in and wont want finance (well possibly)

1. research what a fair price for your car is. 2. phone around and get a few quotes on cash prices for the car/s you are interested in. You now should have a rough idea what it should cost you to change into the new car (2 - 1). Decide what amount your willing to part with along with your own car and then hit the garages and talk. Walk away if you don't get what you are looking for. Keep walking away, some dealer somewhere will call you back and then you are in business.

If you do decide to take finance then I'd renegociate the amount payable again as the garage will get commission on selling the finance to you so you may aswell take a chunk out of that pie too.

Hi

* Make sure you get a written copy of the final agreement, many garages try all sorts of sneaky tricks to get some extra cash out of you just before you take delivery & you may need written evidence

* Check the rate to be charged by the car finance company / bank directly, don't just accept the rate offered by the garage .. the garage gets a commission for selling the finance, which is usually built into the rate you subsequently pay for your finance, so you may be paying extra !

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

You should look up the likes of Carzone and see how much your car is selling for. If it is selling for 10k on that website, expect a garage to offer you in the region of €7/8k. You should look for 5% anyway off the cost of the new car irrespective of whether you are trading in or not. Each dealer has a different mark-up but it is at least at 7.5% and could be as much as 12%. As for finance, I personally would get a personal loan for purchasing a car rather than getting finance from the dealer.

Biggest mistake to make is trading in. The price offered will be 2k less than the price you could get selling privately and also you won't get the cash price discount.
I bought a new car last year and reckon I saved 3k by selling privately. (2k on price of car and 1k in cash discount I wouldn't have got by trading in)

Back