Negotiating a good price on some land I'd like to buy subject to planning permission.

babylon

I'm currently negotiating a price on some land I'd like to buy subject to planning permission. The Vendor is looking for about 50,000 more than I am sure the land is worth as it is quite a small plot and has had a planning application turned down a few years ago. However, the vendor is holding firm and has suggested that someone else is keen to buy the land at the asking price but we have first refusal. I know this to be untrue. Is there anyone out there with good bargaining skills with any suggestions on how to get the vendor to be more reasonable?

Re: Negotiating a good price

No one ever has first refusal, end of story.

Ever dance with the devil?

The only way to deal with a situation like this is to offer what you think it is worth to you and give the seller a deadline. He is obviously telling you lies as you have found. Let him sell to the other bidder ( if he exists ) Just dont look interested or go out of your way, let him come to you. Let the thing sit after you have made your offer. After all, he is trying to get as much money out of you as he can. Find out why the planning was refused the first time, and go and speak to the planning department of your local council. I dont think this is a question of "good bargaining skills " as he has told you what price he wants!! Dont let him see you are eager to obtain this site. €50,000. is a lot of extra money. What area is this in, is it Dublin? I am shocked at what some of these sites are selling for.

Thanks for the advice. The site is in North Wicklow where sites are hard to find and quite expensive but this guy seems to have just picked a figure out of his head. The problem is that because they are hard to find he probably will get someone, with more money than sense, to pay it.

Back