Need for PRSA

Shaz

My husband is 36 years old and currently a full time student. Previous to returning to full time studies, he held a lot of temporary, contract jobs where there was no pension schemes provided and neither did he contribute to a personal scheme on his own with a bank or investment company. He has a SSIA due early 2007 and since he is a student and only works part time, he is on less than €50k per annum in 2006. We are on separate assessment where I have taken his personal tax credit and some of his tax band. When he graduates in the middle of next year, he will most probably be working for the government and therefore I assume would have a defined benefit pension scheme. My question is should he open a PRSA and take advantage of the SSIA to pension plan scheme? Also, can he close the PRSA after 1 year? Is this wise from the entry charges/commission point of view? Also, since he is only starting his pension at 36, should all of his SSIA go to a pension plan? I am afraid that he will have nothing to live on when he retires and would be depending on me....just joking...in sickness and in health and all that!!!:p

Back