need debt/bankruptcy advice (loans, IRS, credit card)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kuret

I am 26 years old in the USA. I have been out of school for several years. I am at a point where I am paying the max amount I can a month for debt (see below). I desperately need $1500 to fix my car and also really need to pay off the IRS. I will get tax returns back but not $1800 to cover the IRS balance in full. I am waiting on a request at a small credit union for a $1500 loan to cover the car but am 90% sure they will want a co-signer. This is why I didn't request more. (I have no resources or options for a co-signer). My income is equivalent to my monthly debt payments, so I have been unable to bank any $. Even though it won't relieve my student loans, should I file bankruptcy? I really don't to but I feel like I have no options. I would appreciate any advice. As you read below, keep in mind I don't to file a dispute my parents as they are elderly, and I doubt that would get me anywhere, if even possible.

Here are more details on my situation:

1. total student loan debt = $45,000 / monthly payment = $300 (minimum amt I can pay at this point)
2. total credit card/consumer loan debt = $2,500 / monthly payment = $94
3. IRS debt = $1800 / monthly payments = $50
4. student loan in collections = $7700 / monthly payment = $100

*in addition I pay around $600 in rent, bills and car insurance, and this does not include any expenses (i.e., gas, clothing, food etc). My monthly income is barely $1500.

NOTES (in referencing the above)

1. my parents get a small social security check as they are retired, so I did not receive good financial aid when I was in school and had to take out a lot of loans.

2. Money Management International (MMI) manages this giving me low interest rates. This covers a consumer loan that went to bankruptcy (when my parents filed and they were paying it for me) and showed up on my credit. MMI tells me I can't aquire any more debt (i.e. take out another loan) if I'm ont heir plan even though i told them I need to fix my car. Is this accurate?!

3. (IRS) - this is from FY2005 where I was a 1099 contractor for my full time job. the balance keeps going up on my $50 payment plan because of penalties and fees, and I was late twice on a payment (by a few days) and now they are threatening to take my state and federal tax returns (levy). This is why i want to pay them off.

4. my parents failed to inform me about a loan bill that went to their address and by the time I handled it, it was very past due and they demanded a payment of $500 or it would go to collections. I could not pay this amount so it went to collections. The woman who worked for the state (loan admin) said it would still go to collections even if I paid what i could afford. They are also threatening to take my tax returns.

Sorry, AAM is an Irish site so the advice given will not be of much use to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back