Need an residential QS or valuer

Anon Dad

Hi
My wife and i are separating and need to agree how to handle the equity in the family home. One of us will remain here so we need to know the value.
A Similar house in the estate sold for 550 last year.
In the last 2 weeks we have had 7 estate agents view the house and quote numbers from 600 to 750+
The higher numbers here do not seem reasonable and we would like to engage a profession QS to provide a value.
It feels like the esate agents a trying to get our business.

I know that when we remortgage, the lender will send an approved surveyor to value to property..
How can we gain access to such a person ourselves before this point?
We need to agree the equity number before and form a separation agreement before we can draw down the mortgage.

Please reccommend a residential property surveyor.

Many thanks.

I think Estate Agents would know the market better than a Surveyor.
Maybe go to one more and take the average as a guideline, but yes, properties have increased in value in the last year.

Thing is that there will always be one half that wants to see the price high and the other low.

While estate agents might know the market better, they are punting for business and would not be honest in their valuations.
Hi Brendan,

No estate agent is stupid enough to misunderstand the meaning of the phrase "the property is not for sale". If this is being made clear, there is no point in them punting for business for a sale that's not going to happen.

I wonder is there a miscommunication issue here?

I did not make it explicity clear to the EA that the house was NOT for sale, only that we wanted to know what we are sitting on.
Not trying to be decieptful but it seemed like the only way to get some values.
I can now see AIB and EBS approved valuer panels. Now that i know what to look for !

I did not make it explicity clear to the EA that the house was NOT for sale, only that we wanted to know what we are sitting on.
Then you did not get a valuation, you got an unreliable sales pitch.

The agents who are approved by the banks to perform valuations will be far more reliable, these will require a payment for their services.

Back