Necessary Mileage for employer while not able to be in office location

cmtc01

Hi could I just ask this question please: We are not yet being allowed back into our office to work but are all working remotely from home. Our business has started to open up and we have about 20 Consultants who have had to visit customers in the past two months. At the beginning of Covid last year the understanding was that mileage was from home base as we were not allowed to be at office location. Now the employer is taking a different tack and saying that mileage is whichever is nearer (ie home or office location). Which method of calculation is correct? For some client journeys one might be lower than the other, but the Consultants are arguing that they have no choice because they do not have an office base. Just looking for some clarification as it seems strange that the method of calculation should be changed? I can only find mileage for remote workers, but there is nothing where an office location has been temporarily removed because of Covid. Many thanks.

Isn't this an employer/employee contractual issue dependent on the employment contracts in effect, custom and practice, and/or negotiation?

Hi contract, when signed, would be whichever journey is shortest. The problem is that we have two Consultants in West of Ireland with no office base and they get mileage from home as there is no office base for them. The other Consultants (based in Dublin and Cork) are arguing that their work mileage then becomes like the two in west of Ireland,as temporarily during Covid the Office base is closed down, and are entitled to mileage from home base.

Your question is "Which method of calculation is correct?" but nobody except the company can answer that as far as I can see.

I suppose asking has anyone else come across this in their work. Its complicated as the method changed from 2020 to now - initially in 2020 mileage from home base and now in 2021 whichever journey is shorter. I would have though that for the few weeks/months that office was closed and our Consultants have to do mileage (we are considered an essential service) that it would have remained consistent.

Hi could I just ask this question please: We are not yet being allowed back into our office to work but are all working remotely from home. Our business has started to open up and we have about 20 Consultants who have had to visit customers in the past two months. At the beginning of Covid last year the understanding was that mileage was from home base as we were not allowed to be at office location. Now the employer is taking a different tack and saying that mileage is whichever is nearer (ie home or office location). Which method of calculation is correct? For some client journeys one might be lower than the other, but the Consultants are arguing that they have no choice because they do not have an office base. Just looking for some clarification as it seems strange that the method of calculation should be changed? I can only find mileage for remote workers, but there is nothing where an office location has been temporarily removed because of Covid. Many thanks.
If the office is temporarily closed, then you are temporarily remote workers I would think. Hard to argue otherwise.

Back