NDLS contact details.

If a full medical report is advised for any reason a visit to your Doctor will be necessary.
Anyone who reaches the age of 70 require a doctor's report when renewing their driving licence. This includes healthy 70 year olds who are required to call to their doctor to have a form completed.

There has to be an easier solution to this during the pandemic?

The NDLS are refusing to post out these forms to people. Many people do not have the facility to print off these forms and are being sent to their doctor to get them.

If the NDLS posted out these forms to people, then the healthy 70 year old might be able to leave the completed form in the doctor's surgery for completion at the doctor's convenience.

If a medical report is needed , the doctor must certify that the applicant has satisfactory vision and no medical condition which would make driving dangerous. The applicant needs to sign the form in the presence of the doctor, so leaving the form at the surgery for later completion would probably not be acceptable.

Certainly the NDLS could defer the need for medical reports for over 70's during the pandemic , but who in NDLS , or Government , would be brave enough to accept responsibility for this decision. I think myself that more accidents are due to "faulty" drivers than faulty vehicles. ( Of course I would say that , being 80+ , and still passing the medical reports. ! )

Anyone who reaches the age of 70 require a doctor's report when renewing their driving licence. This includes healthy 70 year olds who are required to call to their doctor to have a form completed.

The NDLS are refusing to post out these forms to people. Many people do not have the facility to print off these forms and are being sent to their doctor to get them.

If the NDLS posted out these forms to people, then the healthy 70 year old might be able to leave the completed form in the doctor's surgery for completion at the doctor's convenience.
The Doctor's secretary can leave the completed form in the Doctor's surgery for completion at the Doctor's convenience. Are people really making a mountain out of a molehill here?

Why is this required during a pandemic?
We had more Road Deaths last year when there was much less traffic on the roads. People sped up due to lower traffic numbers. It's not exactly a huge ask for those whose eyesight might endanger other road users to prove that they are medically fit to drive, and for a form to be filled out. Virtually every Doctor's office or Optometrist will have a printer available, or copies of the form on hand to be filled in.

The NCT deferred car tests during the pandemic. It is not unreasonable that the NDLS could do the same, just extend the term of the driving licence. Why does someone become a dangerous driver at age 70 but not at age 69?
They deferred tests temporarily and now they are back, so I can't see any good reason for deferring these medical checks now.

There probably is a broader question about the age limit, but that's not a matter for NDLS. Personally, I reckon we should have mandatory retesting for all drivers every five years or so, given the inherent dangers of driving.

so you're suggesting that Doctor's just sign these forms without examining the patient?

Last edited:
I still don't see why the NDLS can't post out the forms if requested instead of leaving it to the doctor to complete. Half of the form is completed by the applicant including putting your licence number on the form if renewing. It would speed up the process and free the doctor to do other work for people who are actually ill or waiting on a vaccine.

Have you seen the forms? Half a page basically.
It's half or two pages really, but how does the length of the form affect the doctor's ability to certify that the person is not a danger to themselves or others? Are there other questions you feel should be asked?

Doctors who provide sign-off here could potentially be struck-off if found to be signing false declarations. How many would you think would risk that for the convenience of a phone call?

I agree. And many people are well below 70 yrs of age that are involved in accidents.
Indeed it is a crude instrument, but one that has reduced accidents and saved lives. What's the alternative? Have everyone fully retake their driving test every few years?

I still don't see why the NDLS can't post out the forms if requested instead of leaving it to the doctor to complete. Half of the form is completed by the applicant including putting your licence number on the form if renewing. It would speed up the process and free the doctor to do other work for people who are actually ill or waiting on a vaccine.
Anyone who needs a hard copy can order one by post at a very small cost; https://www.printcopyandgo.com/
Or get one for even small cost at their local library.

Why should NDLS bear the cost of printing and postage?

Because it costs money. The doctor's office will have this form. They fill out several of these every week in every GP clinic. The doctor can fill in their bit and the patient can fill in their bit.

The over 70 requirement is likely due to increased co-morbidities at this age group. As was previously stated, licences were extended during the early part of the pandemic, but now that we have vaccines, there is no need to allow someone with deteriorating health to continue to be a danger to themselves and others on the road.

I turn 70 in February so my driving licence expires then. I decided to apply two month early to get the ball rolling. I was surprised that my new licence (3 years) was renewed from the date I applied in December rather than from the expiry date in February 2022.

I kind of feel cheated out of two months.

I was surprised that my new licence (3 years) was renewed from the date I applied in December rather than from the expiry date in February 2022.
Yeah, the maximum length of the license still applies from issue date. good to note though in case others are considering being as well organised.

Back