NCT test centres

franmac

Had my car tested almost two weeks ago and while I was sitting in my car waiting to be directed to my test bay I was amazed to see some of the employees lighting cigarettes and smoking.

Are the test centres not classed as a place of employment?

By the way my car passed but if it had'nt I probably would have asked questions.

Hi Franmac,

you can report them to the [broken link removed] 1890 333 100.

Lo-call compliance line – 1890 333 100 The Office of Tobacco Control manages a lo-call compliance line, which was set-up in March 2004 to coincide with the introduction of the smoke-free workplace legislation. The number for the line is 1890 333 100.

If members of the public are in a workplace, such as a pub or restaurant, where somebody is smoking, they should first go to the person responsible in that place to register their complaint. If they do not get a satisfactory response there, they can then call the lo-call compliance line to register their complaint/issue.

The details of their complaint will be passed on to the relevant Health Service Executive area or the Health and Safety Authority, whose officers are tasked with enforcing the legislation. All complaints are prioritised by the enforcement agencies and dealt with accordingly.

There is a certain irony here: reporting one compliance authority to another!

ajapale

a friend of mine brought her car for the nct recently and it passed but the guy called her aside and told her she needs a new timing belt and a few other bits but he said he would pass her anyway. when he came back with the cert he she was waiting with her partner and the guy said if id have know he was with you i would have never passed you.

I've always suspected that this could happen in some instances, that's why the Mrs C always brings the car for the NCT on her own! In fact she got the NCT last week with no problems. On the other hand I would always drop the car into the garage for service/ repairs myself as unfortunately some unscrupulous garages/ mechanics will try it on with unnecessary extras etc, I think.

Back