NCT next week - emissions clean up??

Betsy Og

Have new tyres (spare ok) & tracking done, oil changed, air filter changed, front wiper blades changed, bulbs all in order. Brakes - no point changing pads, shoes etc. now as may not "bed in" for the test. Dont think theres much point in doing anything else until told to.

But, what can you do about emmissions - may be grand but may not, cant really tell. Any views of these "one shot" jobs you put into the petrol tank to apparently clean the injectors and improve emmissions.

Also, re spark plugs, am I right in thinking that they either work or they dont, is there any point in changing them until they go?
Bushes, angle of headlights etc. - nothing can be done I'd say, except maybe to set the headlights as low "short" as they go using the dial by the steering wheel.

Anything else to be considered??

p.s. car involved is a '97 fiesta

Re: NCT next week - emmissions clean up??

No expert, but I do believe to test the emmissions propertly on a car the engine should be at a certain temperature, i.e. emissions are lower or at an optimun once engine has been running awhile.
At the NCT centres, I have not observed them "racing" the engines to heat them before testing, and so may fail on this.
You could ensure the engine will be hot enough by driving in a low gear with high revs just before the test (not so good for local residents though).

I think they measure the oil temperature when running the test, so you get a reading at a particular oil temperature.

This would seem to allow for compensation for a cold engine - but maybe you are still better off with a hot engine.​

re: lights: The dial should be at 0 which means the lights are at their highest.

The test guy in the NCT centre told me just to send my car in a fix what fails,no point fixing something that may or may not fail.As for emissions when I was being tested there was a guy waiting in the test center who was quite agitated,he was driving a diesel VW,when the NCT guy came back and said he passed,the guy went ballistic,started to call him names etc...we didn't know what was up as we thought a pass would have been great news!It turned out he had his car tested 3 weeks previously and it failed emissions(it was only 4 years old),he drove it around as per usual ,did nothing with the car ,had it retested and it passed-hence his frustration.The NCT guy said that it's always best to have driven your car for a while right up to the test time and this may have helped with emissions.Didn't stop the guy calling names though and if I was him I wouldn't go back to that test center again!

don't get caught with not having your county name on your reg. plate

Hi,

yes there is some stuff you can put in with petrol which seemed to do the job for me & clean up emmissions enough to pass.........sorry but not sure what its called....but give it a go.

Car failed only on lights and light over the number plate - so thats as good as a full pass as far am far as I'm concerned - '97 car.

Seems they want to get a "report" from the garage re-adjusting the lights, not sure exactly what that means. Think they may be looking to re-charge for the 2nd inspection but even at that its a fairly easy "escape".

stp is the stuff for you put into the petrol to clean out the emissions. I was told to drive the car for about 5 miles at 100kph before presenting it to test centre and it passed.

Hi there!

This device will help all petrol engine vehicles with emmisions, and increase mpg. The site link explains all. Infact it was tested by The Department Of Trade and Industry in the U.K. and verified. Any way it's all on the site link below. I fitted one to my petrol Audi A4 and the emmission's were considerably lower on the Nct this time than last. So in short it worked for me!
Hope this help's.
P.s. I bought mine on Ebay.co.uk

Deepsea.

Tried and tested method for the past few years for me (so don't come complaining if this doesn't work for you) - I have a 2 litre diesel and for the past 2 NCT's I have put approx €5 of kerosene into my tank a day or so before the test. drive as normal expect on the day of the test - on the way to the test I drive in a lower gear than normal therefore revving the engine a bit more than normal. as I've said passed the last 2 tests with no issues whatsoever regarding emissions ( car is a 2004 HDI model).

Back