NCT and car insurance.

shnaek

I have been having a debate with a friend and I was wondering if anyone here can clear it up. I am arguing if you don't have an NCT then you aren't covered by your insurance. He is saying his mechanic told him otherwise. Does anyone here know the position, or is it up to individual insurers?
Cheers!

I think there's some loophole with irish car insurance, that once they undertake to insure you, you're always covered no matter what...be it nct out of date, drink driving etc...heard it discussed on pat kenny one morning but don't know all the details...

as long as car is maintained in efficient and roadworthy condition, you are covered under the policy. if it is not, then the insurer must deal with any claim anyway, but outside of the policy, which means that you must repay all that they pay out.

A colleague recently told me that his car is out of NCT and his insurer would insure him for a few hours on the day of the test so that he could drive it over, get it done and drive it back - after that they would only insure it longer term if it had passed the NCT.

You are insured however if an accident was discovered to be the result of a potential nct failure then they could argue the car was unroadworthy.

It should cover this in the policy conditions (if you have ever seen them, can't remember the last time I got them after multiple requests). If it says you are covered regardless of state of car, then you are covered.

In France, your insurance is void if, for example, your tires are not at the correct pressure, tail light broken etc. etc.

Back