Motor NCB lost due to claim

S

sophie1

I was involved in a accident and it was the 3rd party's fault, he however was a non national and had no insurance. I was advised by my solicitor to get the car repaired against my own comprehensive insurance. When he suggested this to me I immediately said I will loss my NCB, he said that insurance co's can't touch my NCB. I was a bit hesitant but I went ahead and claimed against my own insurance. My insurance is due for renewal shortly and yes, I have lost my NCB. What can I do? I do not wish to stay with my current insurer as the cost of insurance is extremely high. Is there a clause or condition that I must remain with my insurance company for 3years after a claim? or is ok to move insurer? Has anyone received similar advice from solicitors that NCB would not be affected?Any help would be much appreciated.

Why did you choose to deal with a solicitor rather than pursue a MIBI claim via your insurer? Your NCB is suspended (standard practice) until your insurer can recover from MIBI, if that facility has not been compromised and your insurer is now willing to pursue a MIBI claim.

I don't think your solicitor gave good advice.

http://www.mibi.ie/

If the office handling on behalf of the MIBI are happy to confirm that the uninsured lad is 100% at fault, then your insurers should NOT stop your NCB.

Yes but the OP has to have put a claim to the MIBI and does not say anywhere that they have done so.

Hi all

Many thanks for your input. When the accident happenedI did put a claim into the MIBI.

The MIBI provided me with the name of the handling agent that would act on behalf of the 3rd party and once I received this information I contacted a solicitor.

So just to clarify, if I get written confirmation from the handling agent that the uninsured was 100% at fault , I could produce this letter to my current car insurer and they should not touch my NCB???

Back