National Grid necessary for Satellite broadband

Fingalian said:
Marie you should have a root around on boards.ie in the Green forum
That surfacepower.com gear is dead impressive, about €2000 for a 500w micro turbine ....so get 2 of them , able to handle high winds up to 130Mph Marie . [broken link removed] lots of warnings about ripoff installers so you may have to register on Boards.ie and PM some of the people who did get it in in order to get non ripoff installers names and contacts . The solarpower system for €6500 could run a shower off the 2Kw invertor, your heaviest loads in the house are normally the electric shower and vacumn cleaner at 1.5kw each . Do not run both together :D

boards.ie's green issues forum has a huge thread on generating your own electricity from people who are doing it themselves.

With a big enough dish you'll get satellite broadband in clare. Most expensive than standard BB but loads of people on the broadband forum on boards.ie have experience of broadband satellite.

Just noticed these latest postings - many thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice! Will let you know how I get on.

Hi Marie,

Re mains electricity, have you spoken to the ESB about future plans to 'electrify' the area you're talking about? I have no idea as to feasibility, but would the fact that you say there is a phone line in the cottage not mean that it is possible to also get mains elec. put out there? Maybe contact a local T.D. and ask them to enquire of the ESB on your behalf? Would make all the above issues/most of them disappear!

On a related issue, don't forget if you're getting work done on the place i.e. bathroom put in, concrete being mixed etc., your builders/plumbers etc. are going to need a reliable and heavy-duty power supply.

Sherman said:
Hi Marie,

Re mains electricity, have you spoken to the ESB about future plans to 'electrify' the area you're talking about? I have no idea as to feasibility, but would the fact that you say there is a phone line in the cottage not mean that it is possible to also get mains elec. put out there? Maybe contact a local T.D. and ask them to enquire of the ESB on your behalf? Would make all the above issues/most of them disappear!

On a related issue, don't forget if you're getting work done on the place i.e. bathroom put in, concrete being mixed etc., your builders/plumbers etc. are going to need a reliable and heavy-duty power supply.

Yes, the basic work done so far has been sourced from the generator (something I wouldn't consider as a long-term option as it's so noisy).

Back