My salary is going to be halved very soon due to loss of shift pay

IndianaJones

Im with my currently employer for 13 years. Because of shift and oncall payment I've been earning 60-75k every year in that period . Its been decided in work that we wont needed on shift or do oncall any more which means within 6 months ill be back on days earning 39k. Im resigned to the fact Im ultimately going to have to look for a new job . I was wondering if there is any case or loophole to be made for someone to be forced to take such a massive drop after being on that money for so long. I know if there was a union there would be . I dont suspect there is but no harm in asking

I don't see that you have any case; the premium was paid for shift / on call & if you're not doing that anymore, the premium is gone.

My guess would be that if you look at your contract, the shifts and on-calls are based on Business Needs.
So if the business does not need them anymore, I don't think they are are obliged to give them to you, at a cost to them.
Something similar has happened in my company where since Covid hit, they have not been getting on-customer-site extra payments.

I know if there was a union there would be .
Maybe time to start one and ensure more pay falls under basic :)

Will it mean less time at work or just different times?

Was everyone on shift work? Or did you do that by choice for more cash? If everyone was on shift work, without choice, or days had ceased to exist, maybe there is an angle that your contract had effectively changed from a day one to a shift one? And now they are trying to change it back without engaging with you. I am not a lawyer

I don't see that you have any case; the premium was paid for shift / on call & if you're not doing that anymore, the premium is gone.
Thirsty is right. You are going to be down big money unless your company can gain more business etc. You can't survive on 39K per annum. However, now is the time for you to write down your SWOT analysis, Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats.

You want to keep earning 70K+ but you have more time on hands. You have more time for yourself and family. You may feel the need to go to university ore go again to university to upskill etc. Use your new free time to your advantage. You might never get this opportunity again.

Incidentally, your SWOT analysis is changeable every day.

If you check out what your new tax, PRSI etc will be on the lower salary you may not be so badly off.

As Leper says your quality of life will be a whole lot better as shift work is renowned for taking its toll on people's health.

Back