My house has fallen through...

You'll have to check first if they're a member - and then make a complaint. If they don't take it seriously threaten to go to the media to expose the rogue agent

what do you mean he has been working for the buyer and not for you. Surely you are paying his fees, therefore you are his client and therefore he owes a duty of care to you primarily.

If this duty of care has been breached then he could be punished under the Estate Agents Act and secondly by MIPAV or MIAVI assumed he is a member.

P.S. the soon land and estate agency is regulated and licenced properly the better!

Well there's no point moaning to us unless you're prepared to actually complain to the appropriate bodies. Did the other 2 people make a formal complaint or simply moan to each other over a couple of pints?

Do you know why the 3 buyers pulled out ?
And what was your solicitor doing in the 5 months !?

Tarquin: what have you got to lose by complaining to the IAVI about your Estate Agent. If you think he did badly for you, then complain. It is not as if you are going to use the same Estate Agent again!!!

tallpaul said:
Tarquin: what have you got to lose by complaining to the IAVI about your Estate Agent. If you think he did badly for you, then complain. It is not as if you are going to use the same Estate Agent again!!!

I'd also suggest trying to convince the others you know of with similiar problems do the same. Make the case stronger than an individual instance.

I won't go into the all the sordid details except to say that my estate agent was working for the buyer and not for me

If you were to go into the sordid details, more light might be shed on whether it is worth your while making the call to the relevant representative body.

the buyer was in a long chain so it was a waiting game for everyone involved and the links started to collapse about 2 months ago

my estate agent was working for the buyer and not for me

With the thinking time that the AAM outage has granted us, have you reached the conclusion that those two statements are not necessarily linked?

The same thing happened to my parents. They were the first client of an agent who went out on his own. There was holy war as he seemed to have some sort of deal with they buyer. In the end, my parents pulled out of the sale with the so called buyer & auctioneer. Alot of stress I know but you'll get there in the end. I have warned everyone about this auctioneer and wouldn't buy a house off him even if it was my dream house!

Tarquin said:
Some of you may know I have been trying to sell a house in County Cork for the last 5 months. It all fell through (more exploded) this morning, I won't go into the all the sordid details except to say that my estate agent was working for the buyer and not for me and it has all now come to light.

I am in shock, to be honest, I can't believe all the lies and stories Ive been told for months by several parties. And I'm paying two mortgages all this time, while its been going on.

I probably know the answer to this but I will ask anyway - is there any point in making a complaint to the IAVI about the agent?

And what is going on in County Cork/Kerry? What's happened to me has also happened to two other people I know, from my home area.

Back