My experience switching from BOI to KBC

gnf_ireland

Like Carmel, Brendan has asked me to write up a summary blog of my switching experience. I had planned to do this in any event, but realised the draft was more of a rant so summarising it now as best I can. I am happy to answer any questions people have on this, either on the post or via PM.
My personal circumstances are very different from Carmel’s, given employment status.

Background
Me: IT consultant for last 14 years - deemed a company director for mortgage assessment purposes. No other property.
Wife: Works in permanent position in good industry sector. House outside Dublin, currently in negative equity but on low tracker mortgage and is rented out

Bought current house in March 2011 in South County Dublin with original LTV of 67%. 2 year fixed rate of 3.4% over 25 years. High levels of uncertainty regarding interest rates at the time. 5 year fixed was 4.7%. Both fixed and variable rates rose immediately after I drew down in April 2011.

March 2013 rolled onto SVR with BOI @ 4.35%. 3 year fixing at the time was 4.89% and 5 year fixing was 5.29%. Believed a level of downward pressure on SVR rates at the time, due to economic situation in Europe and globally.

Q2 2014 - As part of a personal financial review, I decide to stop paying into regular savings accounts and overpay the mortgage by the same amount instead. I also decide to pay ~14% off the mortgage in a lump sum from existing savings. Monitoring the mortgage interest rates closely at this stage

5th January 2015: BOI make their move on interest rates on 5th January and new LTV <60% at 3.9% -for new customers only. Rang both the mortgage centre and Premier Banking to see if they could put me onto the new rate, but the best they could offer was to fix for a period and then move to 4.2% rate. As of 1st January, LTV was below 47%.

Next day I visited one of the KBC hubs. I had contacted them before Christmas in preparation of a potential switch and had gathered all the documentation over the Christmas period. As I am self-employed, this tends to be a large amount of documentation.

Current application details (personally)
· LTV = 47%
· LTI rate = 2.2 times
· Decent level of savings

An issue arose with the application immediately. I was now a married person, so according to the staff in KBC I could only apply for a mortgage on a family home as a joint couple if I am married. I also had 2 children between March 2011 and July 2014, which of course alters the mortgage appraisal process. Both of these children are in childcare costing ~ 2k a month. Furthermore my wife has a house in negative equity of about 60k, although is on a low ECB tracker.

Redo the application and get wife's financial details sorted. Revised details (joint application) and submit application on 9th January

· LTV = 47%
· LTI rate (both houses) = 2.6 times
· Decent level of savings

14th January 2015: KBC query 6 transactions over 1,000 euro and ask for explanation on them. Answers sent through that evening via email later that evening.

26th January 2015: KBC confirms application has been successful and letter is being posted listing further details to be provided. These included originals of certain financial statements, as well as letters from company accountants of current and previous companies I was a director of stating no financial liabilities or personal guarantees provided. This letter of "Approval in Principle" expires in July 2015 - valid for 6 months. All documentation supplied 4 days later.

February 2015
Slow month for the switching process. All documentation submitted but hold-ups on the KBC side, which the contact at the hub is unable to explain. Assume that it was either a high volume of applications or the person assigned the assessment went on holidays. Nothing happens for a month

Letter of offer issued 28th February and must accept within 2 months, expiring 28th April, and draw down in 4 months. Partial reason for hold-up was issue determining who my actual employer is to prove place of employment as 3 parties involved (end client, recruitment company and management company)

Title Deeds requested from BOI, but not provided on first attempt. This has to be re-requested and delays process by 10 days.

Solicitor review of the documentation identifies a clause whereby they have to ensure title deeds are in joint names before the draw down. Title deeds currently in my name only and changing as part of the re-mortgage. However this will be done AFTER the draw down not before it. Request KBC to clarify position, which they do by email. However takes another 4 weeks for them to issue this clarification in writing to the solicitor- despite a number of requests.

Once clarified, the process is very quick and draw down scheduled for 1st May. Issue with SEPA holiday so ends up being pushed out to 5th May. The cutover was straight forward enough. BOI closed mortgage account and did not attempt any further payments. KBC did pay the original requested amount (balance on January 1st rather than May 1st), but solicitor rebated this to them immediately so a non-issue.

First repayment was 1,000 euro lower than remaining repayments, which is now the 1,000 switcher initiative was paid. This ensured no issue with cash flow.

Cost of mortgage switching was ~1600. Valuation was 127 and Solicitor was 1470, including outlays. KBC paid 1k of this, and saved 250 on house insurance so cost 350 euro overall. Have this saved already in repayments.

Observations
1. Despite the fact I am self-employed the process was straight forward enough. A few small hiccups on the way, but nothing major.
2. KBC provided me with half price house insurance on 1st April, although I had not signed the letter of offer yet. This was in acknowledgement of the delays in the process on their side
3. BOI did eventually offer me the 3.9% rate (without need for valuation) in mid-April.
4. Due to BOI's behaviour, I also closed by credit card with them during this time. This is now with KBC also *see note below

Why KBC:
Reason is straight forward. They have the lowest variable rate on offer at the time, and as I am aggressively overpaying the mortgage I did not want to consider fixing it. This is still my current position on fixing, despite the ongoing high SVR rates

What would I do differently second time around:
1. I would apply to all banks at the start, since it is effectively the same paperwork you need to arrange for each of them. Submit to all of them and assess which provide the best options
2. Definitely visit the banks in person and have a contact person identified. I done this with the KBC hub and was invaluable at times
3. Once you have decided you are switching, apply for the title deeds to avoid any unnecessary delays

Finally, since moving KBC have reduced their rates by 0.05% and not offered it to existing customers. I did contact the mortgage department about this to express my dissatisfaction at the practice. I informed them that this was the primary reason I switched from BOI, and reminded them that those who have switched recently are the ones who have decent LTV/LTI ratios and do not suffer from inertia. These may not be the customer base that they want to annoy easily. I also advised them that I will be closing all deposit accounts with them as they mature as a result of not passing on this cut, and if a second cut was not passed on all non-mortgage banking would be closed (credit card and would not consider them for house insurance renewal). I know it makes little difference but don’t see the point in rewarding this behaviour.

At the moment, at 3.55% variable I cannot get a better variable rate. I am not interested in fixing due to my aggressive overpayment strategy, and have decided to liquidate some equity investments and use to pay off a further lump sum against the mortgage. This is taking a little longer than expected due to influence Greece has on the stock market recently.

I would be prepared to switch again, should more favourable rates exist. However, I think I would need to be payback on the move within 4 months, including any incentives to switch that were being offered. The new P-TSB discount offer for 12 months is worth considering, but I do think others will follow this model shortly rather than cutting SVR's.

Note: I have to state that at this stage I would be very reluctant to switch to either KBC or BOI based on their treatment of existing customers. I believe the practice is unforgivable, and undermines the concept that variable rates should move downwards as well as upwards. It is the equivalent of upward only rent reviews in my opinion. I have contacted my local government TD's asking them to pressure the banks to ban the practice, but yet to hear any response from them on it. I will add that they responded to earlier communication on this topic very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
5th January 2015: BOI make their move on interest rates on 5th January and new LTV <60% at 3.9% -for new customers only. Rang both the mortgage centre and Premier Banking to see if they could put me onto the new rate, but the best they could offer was to fix for a period

3. BOI did eventually offer me the 3.9% rate (without need for valuation) in mid-April.

Hi gnf

Thanks for that. It is a great account and will be very helpful to others.

Did BoI reject you on that first attempt based on a phone call or did they even consider it? I wonder if they profiled you knowing that you were self-employed, it might be a bit more difficult for you to move?

It certainly is the right strategy to ask your current lender first. I wonder would it help to submit the offer from KBC as soon as you get it?

Brendan

did BoI reject you on that first attempt based on a phone call or did they even consider it? I wonder if they profiled you knowing that you were self-employed, it might be a bit more difficult for you to move?
Brendan - I called them on the day the rates were announced and they insisted that date that they were for new customers only. It was too quick an answer for any profiling to be done. The following day Premier Banking rang me, and raised it with them. Again it seemed to be a stock answer.

At the end of January, I rang them again after I had my Approval in Principle from KBC. At this stage I told them I had commenced the switching process and would happily send them the Approval in Principle if they wished to see it (I could scan it in and email it to them straight away and they could ring me back). Again they refused to offer me the 3.9% rate and said there were no deals being done

When I rang in April to change my house insurance details with them, I asked them again for the 3.9% rate. Again they stated no deals were being done. At this stage I told them that there is considerable discussion on social media on this and either BOI are lying or people on social media are lying. At this stage, the agent agreed to send the account for review, at which time they came back with the 3.9% rate less than 24 hours later.

In hindsight:
- probably rang them too soon after the rates were announced. Maybe I should have left it a week or so for things to settle down
- should have formally asked for my mortgage account to be reviewed, and bypassed the agents at the mortgage centre and Premier Banking. I did not know I would have to do this to get a favourable response. I had incorrectly assumed that this would have been flagged internally and done automatically when I told them I was switching and offered the Approval in Principle letter

Just one further comment on this case study. As part of my overpayment plan, I discovered a nice surprise in relation to KBC's policy on allowing you to redraw overpaid amounts back down. This came as a surprise to me, but it was something that is definitely worth noting. I am surprised KBC dont advertise this more, as I think it is a good selling point for a number of customers.

I have created a separate thread on it:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/kbc-allows-mortgage-holders-to-redraw-overpayments-another-reason-to-switch-to-them.194940/

I think it is time to update this post given the recent developments with KBC. As stated above, I moved from BOI because they would not offer me the 3.9% rate that they offered new customers. I advised KBC during the application process, that I would quickly consider switching away from them in the event they did not pass on any interest rate cuts to myself as well. Obviously they have not passed on the new interest rate cuts, so its time to consider my options again.

As mentioned above, I did contact them after the 0.05% cut was not passed on and advised them I was closing all deposit accounts with them as they matured. I have done this for everything matured since this has happened. True to my word, I will be contacting them early next week to cancel my credit card.

My next steps will also be to sit down with both AIB and Ulster Bank and obtain mortgage approval in principle with them. After that, who knows what will happen, but based on what I have seen I am doubtful I will be calling myself a KBC customer for any financial product by Christmas (or shortly afterwards). It is sad really, but there is now a 0.2% difference between the AIB/Ulster Bank rate and the KBC rate I am on, and a 0.3% difference between my rate and new customers rate.

I will update this post based on how I get on in my next mortgage adventure !

Gnf, you may find that you are trapped with KBC for a certain time period. I too made the switch to KBC to get a better rate. I got the <60% LTV product on a rate of 3.65%. This rate has been cut three times since then. Like yourself, i had no luck in getting KBC to pass on their interest rate cuts to me.

I decided to switch again. I rang BOI but they told me i needed 1 year's worth of KBC mortgage statements before they would consider me for a switch. Ulster bank's requirements were even harsher - they wanted 2 year's worth of KBC statements. So i am stuck with KBC for the time being.

I woukd advise all potential switchers to avoid KBC, and instead choose a bank that passes on interest rate cuts to existing customers.

Back