My complaint to RTE about the programme on Life Loans

Interesting to see the BAI upholding a complaint against Matt Cooper for not challenging a panel member who described JK Rowling as a bigot.

This is one of the key elements of my complaint:

“While the principle of fairness does not require that all possible opinions on a topic are explored, or that artificial balance is achieved, the committee noted that the nature of current affairs coverage is such that the presenter plays a critical role in challenging the views of guests and contributors, in the public interest.

“The committee had regard for the fact that, in this instance, the presenter did not challenge the panel member or facilitate the exploration of alternative viewpoints.

Brendan

The same rules apply for Newstalk and RTE it's true.

In my view RTE should be held to a higher standard as they are funded by the license fee.

OK,

It's just amazing that over the years so many people have told me that I am wasting time complaining about things or seeking change.
Well I just want to say that I admire anyone who takes the time to object to any injustice or abuse of power. The advances those people achieve improve life for all of us.

From Emma De Souza to yourself Brendan.

GBS said that it is only unreasonable people who change the world.

Hi Brendan, At point 8. above can you explain the 'add it back'. I have recently found out my father gave a 'loan' of 80k to my sister. He is now in a very expensive NH.

8. What if you are worried about the Fair Deal Scheme?

The Fair Deal Scheme is very complicated. If you give your child a present of €100k, then the Fair Deal Scheme will add this back when calculating your means. And it’s no different for the Life Loan. If you borrowed money to go on a holiday or to give it to your child, then they will add this back.

Ironically, RTE has a podcast series at the moment called The Truth Matters

In the first episode of our podcast series, The Truth Matters: A Guide to Misinformation, we spent time understanding the nature of the problem, and looked at how media literacy has a role to play in combating it. In the second, we learned how to talk to friends who are going down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

I couldn't find out how to contact the programme to suggest that they do an episode on Joe Duffy.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Just been re-reading the threads on this. Very disappointed the BAI rejected your complaint. You made some good points in your response to their finding on 2nd June. Did they reply at all, I'm wondering?

That's actually appalling, Brendan. Bad enough that's there's no appeal, but offering a pale substitute for an appeal, and then proceeding to ignore it, just adds insult to injury.

Hi BB

The whole process was appalling.

They put no questions to RTE. For example, they did not ask them why they had no one else speaking on the other side of the argument.

Their communication to me was obscure - very hard to understand.

That final bit was not an appeal - just a chance to make further observations, but they had made it clear that their decision was final.

BB

Brendan,

What about putting in an FOI request for any internal or external correspondence or records related to your 2nd June response to them? It might be embarrassing for them to have to admit that they didn't actually do anything with it. (If that is indeed the case, as seems likely.)

Last edited: