My Children's Inheritance. Can it be invested in land?

MarchingPenguin

Hi, my kids have been receiving a gift sum from their grandparents since they were young. It is under 3000/year. They are 8 years old and under. If it were possible I'd love to invest in land with that money, as we'd receive an income from it (department of agriculture payments) for now, and the kids will have that piece of land to sell if they wish when older. Is this possible? Or does it become an inheritance tax issue for me? If I buy the land in my name.

Seeing as no-one is replied I'm guessing they are probably thinking that maybe your 8 year old kids or your parents dont want you investing in land. You've already impled that you would be taking the income and it wouldnt be for their benefit, and they have to try sell a piece of land in the future??

I had some earnings as a young kid that my parents put aside and gave to me on my 18th birthday.

If they’d given me a half an acre I wouldn’t have been too pleased.

When your kids are 18 or 21, they will want access to the money. So you should not invest in land.

As they have a long term investment horizon, you should put it in some form of stock market investment for them. They will get dividends. They will learn a bit about the ups and downs of the stock market. And it's a liquid investment so that they can cash some or all of it when they need it.

Brendan

If you insist on hijacking their money to invest in land, you would need to talk to a solicitor.

I presume that you can buy the land in trust for them, but I don't know.

The income and capital gains would have to be theirs.

I imagine that it would be very complicated with legal fees and issues to go with agricultural payments.

Brendan

If you insist on hijacking their money to invest in land, you would need to talk to a solicitor.

I presume that you can buy the land in trust for them, but I don't know.

I imagine that it would be very complicated with legal fees and issues to go with agricultural payments.

Brendan
If he insists on hijacking their money to invest in the stock market, he will need to talk to a broker.

I presume he can buy the stock market investment in trust for them.

I imagine it would be moderately complicated with withholding taxes and possible issues to go with seeking tax refunds and so on.

[sorry - couldn't resist]

Back