Must I continue signing on

Willowchase

I was 'retired' 2 years ago at the age of 58 and have been signing on for credits. At this stage, and in the current climate, it appears that I will not be involved again in gainful employment. Will it be necessary to sign for credits for the next 5 years in order to retain my pension entitlement? Had worked for 39 years prior to this without break.

The safe answer is yes, as your pension will be based on average yearly PRSI contributiuons paid and credited.

I was told a number of years ago that 'Its can be very important for married men to continue signing as it ensures your wifes entitlement to non means tested widows pension should anything happen to the husband.'

I was told a number of years ago that 'Its can be very important for married men to continue signing as it ensures your wifes entitlement to non means tested widows pension should anything happen to the husband.'

Which may have been true at the time ...it is only in recent years that the Survivor's Pension was introduced thus allowing widowers a pension in the event of their wives passing away.

Back