Multiple Superannuation Deductions

S

ske

Hi, I'm a public sector worker and have been employed full time for the last 4 years. On my monthly payslips there are three separate deductions for superannuation. Nobody I've talked to seems to be able to tell my why there are three deductions. Does anyone know why there are 3 deductions? Also, I'm leaving the public sector shortly to return to college, am I entitled to claim any of these payments back?
Hopefully someone here can help me out! Thanks.

Its normally your main pension contribution, plus one for your lump sum and another for your spouses & orphans fund.

You can't claim the payments back, you will have a preserved pension on retirement.

One of the deductions may be the Pension Related Deduction (aka the Pension Levy) which was introduced a couple of years ago.

As Berni said, the other deductions are likely to be your personal superannuation contribution and the spouses & orphans contribution.

I'm not aware of a separate contribution for a lump sum - that is usually included in the main personal contribution.

I'm not aware of a separate contribution for a lump sum - that is usually included in the main personal contribution.

It probably varies according to the scheme, and if its pre or post 95.
Mine is separate because it is a % of gross salary, whereas the main contribution is a % of pensionable salary after state pension is deducted.

I'm with gipimann, pretty sure it's pension related deduction, main pension and spouses and children. I'm pre 95 and these 3 are shown separtely. Post 95 have these 3 deductions shown separtely also but the caculation of the main scheme is different depending of whether you're pre or post '95.

The main pension deduction pays towards the lump sum.

I'm surprised that your payroll section could not explain it though.

In relation to a rebate, it use to be possible if you had less then 2 years service but this may have changed. Also if you re-enter the public or civil service you would have to repay it. Your superannuation section should advise you on this matter.

I'm currently looking at a public service payslip.

Four pension deductions

1 = pension levy

2 = NPSC = I assume this is the main scheme

3 = NS&C = I assume this is the spouses and childrens scheme

4 = Pen Lump Sum

It doesn't help that 2 and 3 are so similar.

Thanks for all the replies. My payroll section are fairly useless.

My payslip just says:
Superannuation €x
Superannuation €x
Superannuation €x
Pension related deductions €x

So I'm guessing mine are the same as what Protocol has said.

Obviously there's no consistency between public service employers on how their pension deductions are displayed on payslips.

I'm pre-95 and my payslip shows just 2 deductions

1. SuperN (inc the personal rate, spouses & childrens schemes)
2. Pen Levy (Pension Related Deduction).

Well Spouses and Children is 1.5 % so that one is easy to calculate. Pre 95 is 5 % but post 95 is a formula.

I can't figure out what the lump sum deduction is for though unless you buying back temporary years which is compulsory?

I can't figure out what the lump sum deduction is for though unless you buying back temporary years which is compulsory?
Its for the final tax free lump sum. For post 95 people (civil service) it is separately accounted for, because of the integration with the state pension.

I have the same four deductions protocol lists, but my payslip thankfully has full descriptions instead of cryptic abbreviations.

Back