Multiple Occupant Tenancy

pulpfiction

Hello ...looking for a steer on the following. I have a property rented to 4 individuals , the tenancy began on 01/09/2019.They signed a 12 month lease, however I understand the Part 4 started after 6 months. Fully registered with RTB etc
3 of the tenants contacted me today to say that they want to leave. 1 individual wants to stay. None of this is Covid related- all working

My understanding is as follows please correct me if I am wrong

Firstly they should have given me 35 days notice allowing for the break clause of 12 months.
The house was rented and registered with the RTB as a whole unit, all names are on the lease. The lease states that no subletting etc is allowed.

Am I correct to say that the remaining person is now responsible for the total rent ? I am completely confused at this point ! Any landlords out there have experience with these types of tenancies, I may add that the tenants have been great ..but I don't want to be left in the position of trying to rent rooms individually. I know the house will rent as a unit in a flash, its harder to fill rooms

Thanks in advance

My understanding is that the remaining tenant is responsible for the entire rent.

I would arrange to meet up with your tenants straight away; keep the notice item as a bargaining chip if you need it, but don't get too hung up on that.

If the 4th person wants to stay on they have to accept the entire rent and you won't allow them sublet.

My understanding is that the remaining tenant is responsible for the entire rent.

This is my understanding as well, and it means nothing. The fourth tenant is unlikely to be willing or able to pay the entire rent, and from a pactical point there is nothing you can do about this.

This is my understanding as well, and it means nothing. The fourth tenant is unlikely to be willing or able to pay the entire rent, and from a pactical point there is nothing you can do about this.
hm..yes and no.
OP seems to have a good relationship with tenants, thats why I suggest a sit down chat might be the best approach.

Granted if remaining tenant acts the maggot and doesn't pay the rent, then you are into tedious eviction proceedings.

Granted if remaining tenant acts the maggot and doesn't pay the rent, then you are into tedious eviction proceedings.

It is hardly acting the maggot for the remaining tenant to say, 'well I never expected to be in this situation, and I cannot pay my existing rent times 4'.

The problem is that legally this tenant who cannot pay the rent cannot be evicted.

Tenant is expected to have read and understood the lease.

Leaving out the present COVID restrictions; non payment of rent under the terms of the lease would be grounds for eviction.

Back