multi media

D

dollyclare

I would be grateful for help on the following-
1.I need to creata a backup for my media library.Which removable disc is best suited.It consists of approx 100 songs,a few small video clips.how many songs would fit on one disc,how long would it take etc.
2.My floppy discs hold 1.44mb-is there a newer,larger storage version of these.(could I use a cd-r or dvd-r)
3.I have windows media player,quicktime,realplayer,winamp on my harddrive.Is this just a waste of space ,do they not all do more or less the same thing?
4.Why choose an sdmemory card instead of a multi media mc.Can a mc be played on all removable discs (,or on a pc,)or do you have to buy won for a specific disc.????
Thanks for listening(reading)

> It consists of approx 100 songs,a few small video clips.how many songs would fit on one disc,how long would it take etc.

What format are the songs in? MP3 tracks at 128Kbps sampling rate would generally average c. 5MB each (obviously depends on the track though). This means that you would fit up to c. 140 tracks on a 700MB CD-R[W]. DVD-ROMs would generally store up to 4.7GB (higher capacities using dual layer media and drives etc. are possible but not that common or affordable right now as far as I know) if you need the higher capacity.

> 2.My floppy discs hold 1.44mb-is there a newer,larger storage version of these.(could I use a cd-r or dvd-r)

There are higher capacity floppy drives and ZIP drives available but CD or DVD might be a better, more standard and more affordable way to go to be honest.

> 3.I have windows media player,quicktime,realplayer,winamp on my harddrive.Is this just a waste of space ,do they not all do more or less the same thing?

It's horses for courses really. They offer similar functionality but may have their own special features. If one does the job for your satisfactorily then there's no point in keeping the others installed. Might be worth ensuring that you retain the original installation media (CDs) if you do remove anything just in case you find that you DO need it later.

> 4.Why choose an sdmemory card instead of a multi media mc.Can a mc be played on all removable discs (,or on a pc,)or do you have to buy won for a specific disc.????

Not sure. Try Google for technical information on the differences between the different flash memory based cards/devices.

Back