MS Word will not download on Mac

ATC110

There is no referencing tool for the online version of MS Word (being used by a student through their college Moodle portal)

Apparently the desktop version has the referencing tool and can be downloaded.

Numerous attempts to download MS Office to a MacBook Pro (latest version-MacOS Monterey 12.6) from https://portal.office.com/account# however the download repeatedly stops and the following error message is displayed:

"The operation couldn't be completed. kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork…”

The download starts and gets to about 8Mb then stops.

The internet service used for downloading is a 4G router and the estimated download time at the start is circa 2 hours.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Is there another option?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will be any help to you but to the best of my knowledge Word is free to download as an Android App for your phone from the Google play store.
I didn't try downloading Word but I recently downloaded Excel for my Android phone and the App is quite excellent.

I don't know if this will be any help to you but to the best of my knowledge Word is free to download as an Android App for your phone from the Google play store.
I didn't try downloading Word but I recently downloaded Excel for my Android phone and the App is quite excellent.
Thanks but it's needed for an assignment so the full keyboard is required.

MS Word for Mac is in the App Store but the download does not respond when clicked.

There is no referencing tool for the online version of MS Word (being used by a student through their college Moodle portal)

Apparently the desktop version has the referencing tool and can be downloaded.

Numerous attempts to download MS Office to a MacBook Pro (latest version-MacOS Monterey 12.6) from https://portal.office.com/account# however the download repeatedly stops and the following error message is displayed:

"The operation couldn't be completed. kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork…”

The download starts and gets to about 8Mb then stops.

The internet service used for downloading is a 4G router and the estimated download time at the start is circa 2 hours.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Is there another option?

Thanks in advance.
Maybe go to your local library or McDonald's etc and use their better broadband connection to download it?

Or Google/search for the "kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork" error and try one of the many suggested fixes/workarounds?

Are you using Safari? Try downloading using a different browser. Try the download on a stable wi-fi network rather than 4G (go to your local library); it will also be faster.

Finally, try this:
  1. Go into Safari > Preferences > Privacy
  2. Click on 'Manage Website Data...'
  3. Search for the affected domain name
  4. Click Remove
  5. The problem goes away!

Back