mp3

D

dollyclare

When I download a song from the net I can play it on my pc(through windows media player).If I copy it to a removable disc it will copy but will not play as my player will not read wma format.How can I make(keep) the file format mp3 as this is what my player supports.Thanks

Re: converter

thanks 'car' I've ordered a converter.If you don't mind I'll ask what is probably a silly q to you.If you click on download mp3,when the action is complete why is it still not an mp3 format.?When I am asked if I want to open or save.,I press save .Is it what I save in (e.g. windows media player)that determines what format the song is.Hope ur not too confused!!!!!

hi dolly,
We all started somewhere so dont worry about asking any question, it is a help forum and most of the gang are helpful or at least try to be..

Id love to be able to say when you click on a file and download it, it will always be in the one format but first if you can tell us where you are downloading the file from it might make it easier to explain whats happening as different sites behave differently.

If its one of the many music download sites, they should be in mp3 format already.
Can you give us the name of the file (eg. song_name.mp3) you think youve downloaded, and then let us know the actual filename as it appears when you try to play it?

thanks 'car' I've ordered a converter.

You shouldn't have to pay for this sort of tool. There are lots of free ones available.

If you are looking for beginner's guides to MP3 and other digital sound formats then it's worth checking out the tutorials on HowStuffWorks.com.

hi again,
I've kinda figured it out since last post.Mp3 is not just a file format,it is the general term for various music downloads.When I download a song from eircom.net( e.g.) it is in the format .wma.Other sites have different formats( e.g.) -.mp3.Now I'm going to seek out sites that have the .mp3 format and see can I play them on my portable device .
will let ye know if I succeed.
Thanks again.

I think that you're confusing MP3 with (compressed digital) audio file/download formats in general. MP3 is just one specific compressed digital audio format. There are several others including WMA (Microsoft), AAC (iPod), Ogg Vorbis (Open Source) etc. Note that you can get free or commercial tools to convert between most compressed digital audio file formats if you need to do this. This HowStuffWorks.com tutorial is a good place to start and links to other related tutorials and sites.

Back