Moving / Porting a mortgage from one property to another

Thesearcher

Hello, do you know if any of the banks in Ireland allow transferring a fixed mortgage from one property to another? Don't want to get crushed with high interest rates down the line but looking at another property that will be available in a year. It seems common in the UK I am wondering if it happens in Ireland.

From looking at another post a year ago it seems porting is not available but common enough for a bank to allow the same rate in a transfer. I doubt this would be the case if interest rates were considerably higher but maybe someone has a clearer idea.

Last edited:
Finance Ireland's 10-year and longer fixed rates allow you to "take your mortgage with you" if you move home – meaning that you get to keep the same interest rate, and they will waive or refund any break fee (subject to certain conditions).

Some of the other lenders, e.g. Avant, waive the break fee, if you take out a new mortgage with them. But you take out the new mortgage at the then current market rates.

Finance Ireland's 10-year and longer fixed rates allow you to "take your mortgage with you" if you move home – meaning that you get to keep the same interest rate, and they will waive or refund any break fee (subject to certain conditions).

Some of the other lenders, e.g. Avant, waive the break fee, if you take out a new mortgage with them. But you take out the new mortgage at the then current market rates.
Thanks Brendan, that's very interesting I'll have a look into them - much appreciated.

Back