moving lump sum from US

L

lexington

Hi, I have just moved back to Ireland from US and have over 100k in a bank there currently earning 4.5% interest. I have tried to research the best way to move these funds and the best place to deposit these funds but am finding it difficult to get good information. The money will be used as a downpayment for a house which I hope to buy within the next year. I am a US Citizen. Is there any tax implications to moving this money? Is there a bank that will give you a discount on the currency conversion charge if you move a large sum? Is there a good bank/investment provider that offers a good rate of interest on large sum?
Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can offer.

The first thing you have to decide to do is when and in what currency to move the money. If you open a dollar account here (in the Treasury/Global Markets dept of any major clearing bank) you can transfer $ across and then play the fx market / move across in stage payments to even out exchange rate risk. Or you can transfer dollars across into a euro account. Before you do this you need to decide whether to use the US bank or the Irish Bank for the exchange rate. And to do this, you need to talk to both banks - you can 'book' a rate for the day you know funds are moving. Once you run the rate through the Treasury Dept you should get a decent rate, whatever you do, dont leave the rates to be decided by sending bank without pre booking a rate - they could take a large number of 'ticks' on the transaction. In terms of tax, not 100% sure - The general situation is that income tax is normally charged on income generated & the tax position on other incone depends on your residence and your tax domicile. Ireland has a double taxation agreement with the US so you will pay tax in one country and should end up in a net position - each taxation agreement (ie with different countries) determines which country charges / receives for certain types of income etc. You have to be designated a residence to do this as well. I'm not familiar enough with US / Ireland tax situation - I would suggest you call the Irish Revenue and ask them, if you get the right person their advice can be v/ helpful. In terms of interest earned, shop around, have a search through previous threads. As the 2 economies base lending rates differ you'll never get the same interest rate in both at present.

Back