Moving into house - should i change locks?.

dubdub123

Hey, about to get keys for house in Dublin and wondering should I change the locks?
There's a porch door, front door and patio around back.

Any idea of cost?

I think about it this way: would you give a copy of the keys to the previous owners? If not, then change the locks.

It is quite unexpensive for basic locks. Example, search in woodies:
Yale 90mm Euro Double Thumbturn Lock
€26.29

It is very easy to do yourself, look it up in youtube.
You need to know the length of the current locks, so you buy locks of the same length.
As with everything, you can buy more expensive ones for extra security.

Last edited:
Personally, if the lock types allow it, I'd go to a locksmith and get the replacement cylinders / barrels 'keyed alike', so that the same key can open them all for you.

You can order them online if you know how to identify the type and the measurements.

Absolutely. You have no idea how many copies of the house key has been given out to others over the years.

No idea on the cost, but given you're after spending hundreds of thousands on the house, it will be small. If you aren't DIY minded, pay a locksmith to get it done properly. An ill fitted lock will drive you nuts.

I'd go to a locksmith and get the replacement cylinders / barrels 'keyed alike', so that the same key can open them all for you.
I lived in a house years ago where the previous owner had this done.
Never liked the idea of it and here's why.
Yes it is handy but with four kids, of course one of them 'loses' their key and obviously I had to change all the corresponding locks instead of just one.
Never again. :)

Hey, about to get keys for house in Dublin and wondering should I change the locks?
I would/did. Held in place with one screw, easy to change. I ordered ABS cylinders online (having measured what I needed to have a flush finish). ABS are anti-snap and harder to bump. I flirted with a one-key-fits-them-all solution but reckoned one of the kids would lose a key and I'd be banjoed.

Great thank you all for the input.
I might call a locksmith and get a quote.
If any further recommendations on the type of locks let me know. Id definitely like to have them as secure as possible to avoid intruders.

For extra security locks, google Mul-T-Lock. They come with a card that you need to make copies only in authorized locksmiths.
More expensive, but I sleep better at night :)

I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avocet-ABS-High-Security-Cylinder/dp/B00QAIDB98/ (note this link won't deliver to Ireland, included to show the model) - ABS Euro Cylinder locks. There are a number of protections on them meaning it'll take an average lock smith a few minutes to get through them, compared to the older single sided keys which can generally be bumped open.

Great thank you all for the input.
I might call a locksmith and get a quote.
If any further recommendations on the type of locks let me know. Id definitely like to have them as secure as possible to avoid intruders.
A locksmith, being an expert in fitting locks, will be able to give you the best advice ;)

Back