Moving funds between institutions, issued a cheque; am I liable for it?

Me, "Roger BrokeBroker", and the exact amount.

It's not crossed cause it was in some kind of weird looking printer that seemed to use lights or lasers or something.

"Security check" is printed in block letters, front and center, large enough to see clearly.

i.e. it's not written, all is printed.
If this is correct and the cheque has no crossing, then it is transferable and is a bearer instrument and can be cashed at any bank counter by anybody, without being lodged to an account, yours or anybody else's. Your name is of little importance. While it is not the practice of banks to cash uncrossed cheques in recent times and they usually insist that these are lodged to an account, they are still within their rights to do so. And an uncrossed cheque can be lodged to any account, it does not have to be an account in your name.

I suspect that the "Security Cheque" is in small feint print, often at the bottom right hand corner of the cheque. This is something that printers put on the cheque to show that it incorporates certain security features such as a hologram intended to prevent counterfeiting or illegal replication. If this is the case it makes no difference to the security of the cheque from a processing point of view and so offers you no security. I know of no other use of the term "Security Cheque" in an Irish context.

So yes, you need to be careful not to lose or misplace this cheque, and you need to lodge it to an account in your name as soon as possible.

Last edited:
The money will only be taken from your EBS account when the cheque is presented to another bank

This whole topic seems to show a complete lack of knowledge on how bank cheques work
Are you sure about this ? If this were a personal cheque drawn against Mr BrokeBroker's current account, then this would be the case. It is very likely however that this is a cashier's cheque, drawn against the bank's funds, and that the funds will have been debited from Mr BrokeBroker's account at the time of issue.

Are you 100% sure the cheque is not crossed? Most of the blank pre printed cheques that go into the machine for the details of amount/payee/date to be printed on are crossed, it's a while since I worked in a bank/building society but all our cheques had a crossing on them pre printed. We never actually physically wrote a crossing on them.

It's practically impossible cash a cheque anymore crossing or not and certainly not for a large amount, a cashier, now renamed Customer Service Advisor/Official/Officer probably (not a financial advisor!) might take a chance on a small one say 50 quid but certainly nothing large and I'm speaking from a long time back, these days not even sure they'd cash the 50 quid one!

As for post office, surely you could do the cash withdrawal and immediately convert to postal order within the post office? I haven't had a post office account but they do/did issue postal orders.

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure the cheque is not crossed? Most of the blank pre printed cheques that go into the machine for the details of amount/payee/date to be printed on are crossed, it's a while since I worked in a bank/building society but all our cheques had a crossing on them pre printed. We never actually physically wrote a crossing on them.

It's practically impossible cash a cheque anymore crossing or not and certainly not for a large amount, a cashier, now renamed Customer Service Advisor/Official/Officer probably (not a financial advisor!) might take a chance on a small one say 50 quid but certainly nothing large and I'm speaking from a long time back, these days not even sure they'd cash the 50 quid one!

As for post office, surely you could do the cash withdrawal and immediately convert to postal order within the post office? I haven't had a post office account but they do/did issue postal orders.

Just double checked.

There is actually a printed cross sign saying, "payee only, no exceptions", something like that?

Are you sure about this ? If this were a personal cheque drawn against Mr BrokeBroker's current account, then this would be the case. It is very likely however that this is a cashier's cheque, drawn against the bank's funds, and that the funds will have been debited from Mr BrokeBroker's account at the time of issue.

The cashier did give an option to close the account when I was given the cheque.

Not sure how that effects things?

If this is correct and the cheque has no crossing, then it is transferable and is a bearer instrument and can be cashed at any bank counter by anybody, without being lodged to an account, yours or anybody else's. Your name is of little importance. While it is not the practice of banks to cash uncrossed cheques in recent times and they usually insist that these are lodged to an account, they are still within their rights to do so. And an uncrossed cheque can be lodged to any account, it does not have to be an account in your name.

I suspect that the "Security Cheque" is in small feint print, often at the bottom right hand corner of the cheque. This is something that printers put on the cheque to show that it incorporates certain security features such as a hologram intended to prevent counterfeiting or illegal replication. If this is the case it makes no difference to the security of the cheque from a processing point of view and so offers you no security. I know of no other use of the term "Security Cheque" in an Irish context.

So yes, you need to be careful not to lose or misplace this cheque, and you need to lodge it to an account in your name as soon as possible.

Just double checked, it is crossed?

But,

Unsure about this, you could be correct?

In the case of losing the cheque, it couldn't be reissued under these terms?

I think I'll give up on this
lol, dude, chill.

I made the point initially that it wasn't conventionally crossed with writing as I've seen ever other crossed cheque in my life.

There was no writing on the cheque and the cross itself is micro compared to the large-ass cross normally plastered across a written cheque.

It takes up the equivalent of two written lines, crossed diagonal, but upon close examination, yes you all were correct, it's there.

And the "security cheque" print is bold writing on the header of the cheque, very noticeable.

You are torturing yourself.

There is no risk to you losing your life savings.

Leave the cheque at home. Go out and have a few pints.

If your house is burgled while you are out, get onto the EBS on Monday and tell them to stop it.

Brendan

Just double checked.

There is actually a printed cross sign saying, "payee only, no exceptions", something like that?
Well then you're covered, I haven't seen an uncrossed pre printed cheque in donkeys years, not since the days when you could get a cheque made out to cash by a bank and those days are long gone. With building society cheques unlike a cheque drawn on your own bank account the money does leave your account when the cheque is issued rather than when it is presented, however that is pretty irrelevant in this situation because if you lose it you just get it cancelled and reissued.

Much ado about nothing.

Well then you're covered, I haven't seen an uncrossed pre printed cheque in donkeys years, not since the days when you could get a cheque made out to cash by a bank and those days are long gone. With building society cheques unlike a cheque drawn on your own bank account the money does leave your account when the cheque is issued rather than when it is presented, however that is pretty irrelevant in this situation because if you lose it you just get it cancelled and reissued.

Much ado about nothing.

Thanks heaven.

Better ado than the alternative.

Back