Moving back in to former home where ex still lives....

Maybe it's come time for the person in the house to look for his option 2....he's had a number of handy years....whereas she's had the hassle....anyhow, we'll see what pans out.

Two totally separate situations - either end of the country - in court on same day - how mad is that! Don't get me started on the illegal creche across the road - I work from home and the noise is unreal - not to mention her unregistered chickens...dirty spot for kids to be minded.....

Where I live is just a myriad of noise and nuttiness!! (we'll get to a quiet spot yet!)

The ex rents the room to furnish a lifestyle - he has two cars - one a very sporty convertible....
Dirt is good for children. Animals are good for building up immune systems etc. Plus they’ll realise eggs don’t come from the fridge. And kids love chickens etc, nothing healthier than them going out to fetch the eggs.

That’s some begrudgery there from a divorced person who has no business poking their noses into how many cars the ex has or hasn’t.

Bronte - I'm all for kids getting into dirt etc....but you'd wash yourself after stepping foot in the house...there'd be no guarantee kids/toddlers hands would be washed after coming into contact with chicken faeces...it carries salmonella...there's a rabbit hutch there that is rancid...and her dog's droppings are left in the green verge areas of the estate as well as surrounding gardens...I nearly threw up last year when she described to me her night sweats!! she's also foul (no puns intended) of the law with new legislation on registering afterschool facilities..no vetting..no insurance..nada

re begrudgery - far from it - certainly when you know the full situation.

anyhow, I think at this stage the thread is almost at a close and sufficient comments to date.

#interestingproblems :p

If they do look like becoming homeless can the twins move back in with their Dad 100% of time? The parents main concern should be the kids.

Should the parents look at swapping their primary residence? The Dad move out & the Mum & kids back in? It all depends on their divorce agreement re upbringing of the kids, 50:50 or mainly with the Mum etc. Between them they need to provide two homes for the kids, so they should both be vested in finding a solution. If the Mum is unable to fund more expensive accommodation due to higher rents she should be able to return to court to look for more from the Dad to fund this. Ultimately it is what is best for the kids and a house swap may be one of the best options. But she should not be thinking she can move back in just because her name is on the deed, this shows poor judgement and will be bad for the kids.

Even going to mediation with the Dad may help if the subject is to find secure accommodation for the kids.

Thanks Clamball. Makes it sounds much more civil actually - a house swap. Howinever the party remaining is difficult to say the least.

I imagine extremely difficult - however....Why should anyone cow down and be bullied. Circumstances change...

I'm just thinking...he could only really her prevent her moving in with an Injunction application ...and I can't seeing him forking out a few thousand for that....

Thanks Clamball. Makes it sounds much more civil actually - a house swap. Howinever the party remaining is difficult to say the least.

Never going to happen. They got divorced and have separate lives now. Imagine the chaos when the ex wife tells him that her landlord is selling up and she has nowhere to go, so she wants him to move out of his house so she can live there?!!!

There has to be something in the divorce settlement that deals with the house. It is the biggest asset/liability that most couples have. I find it hard to believe that it hasn't been addressed.

I hear you - I'll check re the divorce agreement - but she is paying for a home she doesn't live in and neither he nor the bank will take her name off the mortgage....so what does she do??

Sorry but I don't believe that she is paying a mortgage for a house she does not live in without some kind of deal thrashed out during the divorce.

It can’t be all about the husband and the wife, it is how they as parents ensure their children do not become homeless. They have joint responsibilities. Singly they are now poorer than when they were married but both sound as if they have plenty of income, the wife paying half a mortgage and rental, and the husband with two cars and an income from airbnb. So they need to adult up and come to joint decisions about what is best for the kids.

Which they should have agreed on when they divorced?

Curious.

Like others, I would wonder what was set out in the terms of the divorce in relation to the property issue and the matter of maintenance of the children.

Leaving the emotion out of it this is a possible practical scenario where joint mortgagors of a property may decide to reside in it.
I emphasise the word may as I see no apparent entitlement to just move back in as of right even if the former wife is an equitable mortgagor in relation to that property. Again, much depends on the divorce terms.

If the former wife and the children want to move back in - even as a practical expedient - I would think it wise to reduce the terms of the proposed manoeuvre to writing so that there is no disagreement or misunderstanding as to the exact basis.

The proposed idea could cut badly wrong both ways. Put another way, the exes would need to legal proof themselves from each other before entering this proposed and potentially unholy project...........

Update: the house and mortgage was not dealt with in divorce. The divorce took place in the US. So the matter of the house is still open for discussion - bank were not willing a few years ago to take one name off the papers. The bank would now, but the resident in situ won't agree - so the ex-spouse who moved out is in limbo to a large degree and currently seeking someone (a good solicitor) who can clarify/progress matters to get off the mortgage/sell up or move in- but I think move in is either an extreme last resort or a tool for getting matter moving excuse the pun.

Update: the house and mortgage was not dealt with in divorce. The divorce took place in the US. So the matter of the house is still open for discussion - bank were not willing a few years ago to take one name off the papers. The bank would now, but the resident in situ won't agree - so the ex-spouse who moved out is in limbo to a large degree and currently seeking someone (a good solicitor) who can clarify/progress matters to get off the mortgage/sell up or move in- but I think move in is either an extreme last resort or a tool for getting matter moving excuse the pun.
And so it all becomes clear.

Back