Motor insurance renewal up - just found out I lost my NCB...

S

stripy

Hi everyone,

I just got my renewal for my insurance last week and I wondered why it has gone up by about 500 euros from last year. I presumed it was a mistake and contacted my broker to see what was the story and where was my slip of paper with the NCB on it. They told me I had lost my 2 years NCB as there had been a claim put through on my policy in January this year.

I was not told about this at the time as apparently Axa are not obliged to inform me if there is a claim put through on my account.??

But the odd thing is, last year my premium was 800, then in March this year I passed my test and I now hold a Full licence. I rang Axa and sent them in a copy of my competency test and later on a copy of my full licence, and they sent me out a refund of €140. Meaning my premium had come down to €660. So I wonder why did they refund me that money when they knew since January that they payed out to the third party's insurance co €1300????

Anyway, I had rang my insurance company in December last year to advise them about a small accident I had with another car. I tipped into the side of the other drivers car (a dent about the size of a deck of cards). We swapped mobile numbers and she said not to worry that we'd sort it out without using the insurance companies so as not to loose our NCB. But I rang my insurance company just in case and admitted liability (silly of me, I know now). Anyway it turned out that our 'lady's agreement' between myself and the other driver meant nothing to her and she went behind my back and put a claim through. I had said I'd pay for the damage to her car, in fact I should have just put my hand under the side of the car and popped the dent out... Anyway, thats the story of the claim. But what I really need is help on what insurance company to go to now?

I've rang several companies and they won't quote if I've had a claim.

Quinn have quoted me €1000, my current broker have quoted me €1300 with Axa, (who I certainly wont renew with again.) I'm absolutely ripping mad about the whole thing, but I guess we live and learn.

Can anyone recommend insurance companies to try?

Last December
But I rang my insurance company just in case and admitted liability (silly of me, I know now).

This is September. Did you not contact the other party in the meantime ?
Did you think it was forgotten about ? After all you admitted liability.

I do,nt think you should complain now.

Billo

Last December
But I rang my insurance company just in case and admitted liability (silly of me, I know now).

This is September. Did you not contact the other party in the meantime ?
Did you think it was forgotten about ? After all you admitted liability.

I do,nt think you should complain now.

Billo

Yes, I contacted the other person in january and she said not to worry that its a small dent and that she would not bother claiming on my insurance or even getting it repaired. Her car was a bit of an old banger with plenty of dents on it anyway, so the dent I made didnt make any difference at all. So because she said she wouldn't bother persuing it, I threw out her number. (but i guess she went to her garage and got all the dents fixed up saying it was me who did it. Especially as my insurance company never asked me to sign a claim form or even asked me about whereabouts on her car I hit...)

And yes, I know its September now. My renewal is up next month and my insurance company have only told me now that the claim was put through. I'm not complaining billo, I'm telling my story on why I've lost 2yrs NCB and asking other people for advice on any insurance companies to go to.

Unfortunately, this kind of 'sharp practice' is pretty endemic among motor insurers, and remains perfectly legal once it's buried somewhere in their small print. A few years back I had to fight — and win! :p — a court case against my own insurer and the other party's, when they similarly 'settled' a claim — without any reference to myself, and to their mutual gain, needless to say!

Sorry I can't, off the top of my head, recommend an insurer for the situation you now find yourself in — but as you say yourself, live and learn. Read the small print very carefully, and presume the worst of any insurance company. You won't be disappointed!

I think you'll find it hard to get another insurance company to quote you so if Quinn have quoted €1,000 knowing you've had a claim vs €1,300 with your current insurer, that's probably the best you're going to get. When you say you have lost 2 years NCB, have you gone from 2 to 0? Or 5 to 3? It seems a big increase (effectively doubling last year's premium) for losing 2 years bonus - especially as premiums generally have been coming down. Is your cover comprehensive or third party only? It might also be worth working out whether you would be better off paying the insurance company back for the claim - you would then keep your bonus plus earn another year if you weren't already at max bonus. Might be worth it given the low claim amount vs your increase in premium over the next few years.

Back