Motor Motor insurance following conviction

droglodyte

Hey all,
I need some advice on the area of motor insurance following a conviction and ban for drink-driving. My father has just finished his ban and needs to get back on the road.

I am trying to get a quote for him but to no avail. Where should I go to get a quote? Any recommendations graciously received!

Regards
D

I think he has to get written refusals from 2 other companies and then his insurer at the time of the offence are obliged to cover him - mind you the price will be significantly higher than he would like.

5 written refusals and then the case is referred to the declined cases board of the IIF. They will direct a company to provide cover. The price will not be good.

There is no obligation on any company to quote contrary to popular belief.

Assuming he had a motor insurance policy in his own name at time of conviction, then that insurer MUST quote.

From the IIF website (my emphasis):

St. Paul's/Travelers, now simply Travelers, used to cater specifically for motorists with DUI or other convictions. However their website suggests that they now only do fleet policies.

A quick Google threw up this broker in Limerick: http://www.culleninsurances.ie/convicted-drivers.html

If it's less than two years since he was banned, he may be able to get his NCB reinstated. But his loading will far exceed any saving.