Motor Motor Claim

Pexus1976

Car Insurance
I left my car parked in my apartment car pack and it was damaged by another car. I discovered it the following day and called the guards. The person that hit my car was obviously drunk and did'nt hang around after the incident. The Guards said they will make enquries.

The guards are looking at cctv footage and said that they would get back to me, this was over 2 weeks ago.

I phoned the insurance company and they advised me to claim off my own insurance. I was advised against claiming off my own insurance until the guards have conducted their investigation, I'm concerned this could take a while and I need my car for work.

So do I claim off my own insurance?

All advice appreciated.

if you want to get it done quick then yes!

Hi Peteb,

Thanks for the reply, whats the consequences of claiming off my own insurance compared to waiting for the final police report.

For example:

If they do not manage to catch him?

If they do catch him how long will it take to get it sorted, can i claim off his insurance asap and get my car sorted?

How do you know that the offending driver was drunk?

have you had a look at the CCTV footage yourself and does it show anything?

If you want to claim against the other motorist, you must first identify the car reg no and if at all possible, the driver.

Why not claim off your own policy and let your insurers try to follow up recovery. Mind you, if the other driver remains untraced, that will not be possible.

Consequences of claiming against own policy would be that NCB could be affected.

Back