Mortgage Transfer from Joint to Sole

RichieRich

Hi all,

Does anyone know the process of transferring a mortgage from joint to sole please?

Is it viewed legally as a property or mortgage sale or is it a simpler process?

Thanks

You pay off one mortgage and you take out a new mortgage in your sole name.

The mortgage bit is not a property sale (but it's likely that the other person is a joint owner of the house so that bit of it would involve a sale.)

Brendan

I think that they might be calling it a transfer, but in practice it's a new mortgage.

You're right. I don't want to be too semantic but from looking at the form they seem to be asking for everything (financial and work information) that they would be looking for from a first-time applicant.

So it's a new mortgage with the same lender.

I went through the transfer of equity process few years ago and there was a specific form to be completed and I think my ex had to sign that, even though the transfer was agreed as part of divorce. Also had to show that monies agreed to be paid to ex had been completed.
Had to basically show my ability to repay and submit all relevant documents.
Also a mortgage protection policy in sole name had to be in place.
The terms of my mortgage remained the same but I cant recall now if there was a new mortgage account number.

After the transfer of equity completed, one of the first things I did was get an interest rate review and had a valuer out, which showed that the LTV was in lower bracket.

Is the name being removed earning an income? If so and even maybe if not then there may be underwriting considerations that could mean it has to go the same route as a new mortgage.

In theory most banks can just remove a name but in practice it depends on the systems and the policies of the banks, end result is much the same unless underwriting is needed. For example bank I am familiar with always had individual customer numbers for customers and main earner on mortgage was first named so mortgage was under that number. To remove the main customer meant setting up a new mortgage, to remove the joint meant just removing the second name, assuming there were no other changes re underwriting etc, for example very straightforward in case of death of joint account holder.

However some banks set up totally new account with same details etc so it's kind of hard to say what system your bank uses. Also if the joint is being removed from deeds then that's another issue regardless of bank.

It is called a transfer of equity but is essentially a new mortgage with a new mortgage agreement number. I went through the process myself a couple of years ago.

That was with KBC just to add.

On the point of deeds that was a different thing and I had to pay a conveyancing solicitor to do this transfer for me. Cost circa 2k.

Back