Mortgage to finish a self build

Wonderwall

My ex husband and I bought a site a few years back that we had intended building a family home on but unfortunately it didn't work out that way. The garage on the site is built to roof level and the foundations are completed for the main house. We have 3 kids and we all currently live in a rented house very amicably!! I am the sole earner and as my ex is self employed, he's able to care for the kids when I'm at work so it works out great in that way. My question is this, could I apply for a mortgage in my own name to build the house but have my ex's name on the deeds also? I don't have the necessary deposit under the CB current rules, but would the site plus the building work done to date cover this requirement? My salary is approx. €46,000. I have a BOI loan which I pay €116 per month, current balance €2600. Other than that I have no loans. I did have a CC a number of years back which was revoked. This is showing on my ICB but is to be removed in April. My ex on the other hand has no regular income but earns maybe €300 - €500 per month. He has no loans outstanding at the moment but his credit history wouldn't be great. Our thinking is that we live together anyway, and don't see that changing in the near future. So would it be better put the money paid on rent into a mortgage that we'll have something there for the kids? Strange situation I know.

Making assumptions that all groundworks are complete and council fees are paid you wont need a full mortgage as I would expect that €20,000 to €30,000 has been spent already.

Get costings done with a QS and chat an engineer

Making assumptions that all groundworks are complete and council fees are paid you wont need a full mortgage as I would expect that €20,000 to €30,000 has been spent already.

Get costings done with a QS and chat an engineer
Thanks for that quadrangle. The one acre site was €50k plus the cost of the groundworks and building to date. I'll follow up as suggested.

Back