Mortgage Protection - questions re: deceased parent

stovesoot

Did a search but couldn't find an answer.
Running through life cover questions for mortgage one that they asked was had either of my parents died before 60 and why. In my case one of my parents died at 53 due to stroke.

- I don't recall this question when I was approved for an life cover policy on a failed house purchase 2 years back. Is this new tighter criteria?
- waiting to hear back from life cover provider re: underwriting approval, but curious if anyone has any issues in a scenario like this. I'm 45 fit healthy etc so if I do have to do a medical it'll be okay, but curious if I may have to pay a loading/or may be refused

I had that question 30 yrs ago on a mortgage protection form as my mother had died at 54 so it's not new.

Did a search but couldn't find an answer.
Running through life cover questions for mortgage one that they asked was had either of my parents died before 60 and why. In my case one of my parents died at 53 due to stroke.

- I don't recall this question when I was approved for an life cover policy on a failed house purchase 2 years back. Is this new tighter criteria?
- waiting to hear back from life cover provider re: underwriting approval, but curious if anyone has any issues in a scenario like this. I'm 45 fit healthy etc so if I do have to do a medical it'll be okay, but curious if I may have to pay a loading/or may be refused

I've worked in the industry for 32 years and there's always been a "family history" question. Occasionally companies set up arrangements with a particular lender where they will offer "reduced underwriting" (i.e. less questions) for their customers.

Saying yes to one question on family history won't have any impact and will be ignored. If you said your father and several siblings had all suffered strokes, then they would want to check you out.

Back