Mortgage protection insurance - need advice

Lingua

Hi,
Can anybody tell me if 50 euro a month is too high for mortgage protection (as I suspect), or is this mormal? I have been paying this for 2 years - nobody wanted to insure me at the time because I was a smoker, and New Ireland first quoted 110 euro monthly, which when challenged, got slashed to 50 a month. I get the feeling it is still too much. Still a smoker but cut down to less than 10 a day.
Opinions appreciated.
kaygo

Have you obtained quotes from other insurers?

Is it basic mortgage protection, i.e. decreasing cover-or something that offers more?

Obviously quitting smoking altogether will make a significance in a year's time.

Basic protection cover. Just got a quote from LA brokers - best deal seems to be Hibernian at 417 yearly. Tough world for a smoker. Non smokers of my age would pay just 110 yearly.
My next question should be - whats the alternative to nicotine?
kaygo

I gave up smoking before I took out a mortgage-one of the best things I have ever done.

Surely you can't expect the same cost of cover as a non-smoker given that you are a statistically a higher risk for the insurer?

Btw-is the quote from LA Brokers discounted in the first year? I know that ours was.

Back