Mortgage length

That’s not what was said though.

Fixed rates are lower than variable rates.

The poster should find a 1.95% rate which allows up to a 10% lump sum overpayment.

Some of these products are fantastic; 1.95% fixed on, say, a €500k mortgage and you can lob up to €50k against it and 10% per year thereafter if you’re lucky enough to be able to do so.

What more could a borrower ask for?
What you say is true. Yet we still have the highest mortgage rates in Europe

Hi Settlement

That is not quite it.

I would expect that over the long-term a diversified investment in equities will produce a positive return. So it is more likely that there will be a positive return than a negative return.

However, the positive return has to exceed the mortgage interest rate. And it must be the return after tax and charges. That may well still happen.

However, the risk is just not worth it.

It is one of the first principles of investing - don't borrow to invest in shares.

Brendan
Yep that's what I meant

What did I miss?

fixed rates are much lower than variable rates.

Certain fixed rates are higher than certain variable ones right now. This wasn't the case IIRC a few years ago.

Some of these products are fantastic; 1.95% fixed on, say, a €500k mortgage
Only borrowing at Dutch rates of 1.4% over ten years would qualify as "fantastic" for me. Same currency, very different market.

What did I miss?

Certain fixed rates are higher than certain variable ones right now. This wasn't the case IIRC a few years ago.

Only borrowing at Dutch rates of 1.4% over ten years would qualify as "fantastic" for me. Same currency, very different market.
Fixed rates ARE much lower than variable rates.

Quoting one variable rate that’s lower than a particular fixed rate doesn’t disprove the assertion.

Far from it.

All of the best rates out there, all of the rates that are around 2%, are fixed.

So you’re completely wrong basically.

It’s like disagreeing with someone’s assertion that men are taller than women because you once met a girl who was taller than you.

In relation to the 1.95% rates, they are fantastic in an Irish context. There are well publicised reasons why rates are higher in Ireland. Anything that begins with a “1” is fantastic in an Irish context.

I think that with with 4 percent inflation and house prices rising 8 percent each quarter right now and climbing. according to the rule of 72 your repayments will halve in in 18 years in real terms so ideally a long term morgage e g 35 to 40 years is best and the bonus will be that your repayments will be much smaller now when you are young and have the health to enjoy and experience this beautifull life. In other words you are not cramping your lifestyle with big morgage repayments. [P.S.I bought my first 3 bed semi detached i 1975 for 6k.][ my 2 cents worth] go figure!!

My tuppence is that people would be mad to plan based on the post-Covid levels of inflation and house price growth we’re seeing.
Well, i disagree completely. Over the last 100 years or more there have been many health epidemics and ups and downs with inflation stock markets , etc. and with regard to investing and inflation i always remember an old saying which seems to hold true ="If we look back at the past we can see glimmers of the future"[my two pennies worth and with deepest respect for every ones opinion.] I dont think we should use Covid as a scapegoat but instead lets look at this over a 40 year term as for e. g. a 40 year morgage term.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not correct. The life cover is separate from the mortgage.
Apologies. I was mixing up convertible term (giving the option of extending the erstwhile mortgage cover into general life insurance - without certain checks such as a medical) with continuing mortgage protection life insurance for the remaining term even after the mortgage was cleared. My mistake.

Hi Brendan
Ref your 3 Options of 19/10/21. I would favour a variation on this, with a 4th Option.
I am 40 years. Mortgage of 140k on house worth 360k. Paying max income tax. I can afford an extra €500 per month on top of my existing mortgage payments. I am thinking of putting this extra 500 in to my PRSA pension each month. I will get max tax relief of 250 per month. I am thinking of putting this 250 from tax relief, in to my mortgage each month.
As I see it - my PRSA grows by 500 extra each month, and my mortgage reduces by 250 extra each month.
I would appreciate your views on this.

@cronleys, I agree with your logic, and ignoring the pension risk for a minute, the return on investing in your pension assuming you are at the higher tax rate is way beyond even what the variable mortgage rates give. You would be paying your mortgage down in after tax Euros vs the pension which is (mostly) before tax.

Regarding ETFs vs mortgage, yes ETFs has a risk associated with it, but then so does paying down debt. Lots of "rich" people use debt as an inflation hedge. IMO once you get the monthly payment down to a manageable level, and what manageable means is very subjective, investing ahead of mortgage payments becomes a good option.

Fixed rates are lower than variable rates.

The poster should find a 1.95% rate which allows up to a 10% lump sum overpayment.

Some of these products are fantastic; 1.95% fixed on, say, a €500k mortgage and you can lob up to €50k against it and 10% per year thereafter if you’re lucky enough to be able to do so.

What more could a borrower ask for?
ICS gives 1.95% fixed rate for 3 years, and allows 20% overpayment of full mortgage amount each 12 months - so on this €500K mortgage, €100K could be paid off each 12 months, without incurring penalties.

ICS gives 1.95% fixed rate for 3 years, and allows 20% overpayment of full mortgage amount each 12 months - so on this €500K mortgage, €100K could be paid off each 12 months, without incurring penalties.
The ICS product seems excellent.

Back