Mortgage interest tax relief

Yes, perfect sense!

Should not be an issue as the mortgage will be for the balance of the remaining private loan, all of which was put against the house purchase.

hey everyone !! im a student and do not work at all !! i was wondering if anyone knows if i too would quailify for the interest tax relief on a mortgage??????????? cheers

Yes!!!! If you are an owner occupier making repayments on your own home then you get mortgage interest relief at source from your lender, even if you don't otherwise pay tax (the mortgage repayment to the lender is reduced by the amount of tax relief), once you return a TRS1 form to Revenue with the relevant details!!! In fact you can even apply for this relief online on the Revenue website!!!!!!

You cannot get mortgage interest relief if you never paid tax in the first place....interest releif is just a refund of tax paid already paid

secondly, how is a student getting a mortgage?

bazermc said:
You cannot get mortgage interest relief if you never paid tax in the first place....interest releif is just a refund of tax paid already paid
Wrong. See the I have a home mortgage but I’m not liable to tax. Can I qualify for TRS? question in [broken link removed]. Even non taxpayers benefit from tax credits granted at source such as SSIA top-ups, SSIA to PRSA transfer incentive top-ups, owner occupier mortgage interest relief, private health insurance relief etc.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this so quick question.

Would my wife qualify for the married persons tax credit of 8000 if the mortgage on our home is in her name only?
Or would she get the single credit of 4000.

Thanks,

C

Back