Mortgage interest relief for couple

henry

Hello, my wife is a first time buyer as per the tax definition, and I am not a first time buyer. We are jointly assessed for tax purposes and are getting TRS credits based a person that is not a first time buyer.

Are we entitled to claim any additional relief for the fact that my wife is a first time buyer ? I am aware of the budget increases.

I rang the tax office the other day and asked the same question, my husband has two homes in his name but our main residence is in both ours and I am a first time buyer. They said yes I am entitled to the trs and our threshold (not sure of exact terminology) is rising to €11k in Jan. hth

I am presuming that Revenue are giving half the married allowance at FTB rates and half at non-FTB rates (€8,000 and €3,000). These are the new rates, effective from January.

We are jointly assessed for tax purposes and are getting TRS credits based a person that is not a first time buyer
From previous posts I believe that in order for your wife to claim her portion of the mortgage as a FTB you would need to be assessed seperatly (and potentially give up any gains from the transfer of credits). Be sure to crunch the numbers to see which route would provide the best results for your situation.

Back