Mortgage in arrears with BOS/Tanager

Sonia Fernandes

Hi,

We bought our house in 2003 and got a mortgage over 25 years for 210K€.

In 2010, we moved out of the country and started renting the house. We kept the same tenants for years and everything went pretty smoothly.

In 2012, my husband and I separated (although we are still married) and continued to live abroad. My husband was the one looking after the tenants, and the house generally.

A few months ago, my husband asked if we could sell the house. He was tired looking after it. I said fine. The house has not budged since then. One offer but it was apparently too low.

Two weeks ago, I told my estranged husband that I wanted to move back to Ireland and live in the house. He told me this was not a problem for me, but to call our solicitor... this is when the fun began.

The solicitor told me the mortgage was in arrears and was either going to be repossessed or sold, and to contact the bank (Lapithus) to discuss the situation further.

Rang Lapithus who confirmed the arrears (19K€) and told me the outstanding balance was 193K€. I am fortunate enough to have the means to pay the 19K€ and start the repayments again to secure the house (693 per month).

My questions are the following (my apologies if some questions may seem silly - I have been away from Ireland for 8 years, and still am for now):
- I do not understand fully who Tanager is, or Lapithus, and what role they play in my mortgage. Once the arrears situation is cleared and the repayments start again, if I want to renegotiate my mortgage, or buy my husband's shares, who do I speak to? Are Tanager or Lapithus actual banks?
- I have read threads about BOS/Tanager calculating the arrears incorrectly. How do I check this?
- I have no documentation relating to my loan, the arrears, etc. Can I ask Tanager for a copy of my loan agreement, statements, etc.?
- Knowing that I am repaying the arrears and picking up the repayment (whilst still not living in the house for another 9 months), how do I go about ensuring this is taken into account if I either buy my husband out at some point, or sell the house?
- Can I do anything about the fact that the outstanding balance on the mortgage is still very high, despite paying it for years?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give...

-

Back