Mortgage-free, what to do with shares in employer?

Dunelm

Was chatting to a friend at the weekend and he was asking for some advice on saving and investments - my opinion was that he should be putting more into his pension but thought I would fillup one of these with the information I have and get some other opinions

Spouse’s/Partner's age:31
Married.

Number and age of children: 1 due in July. would probably like 2-3

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: base pay €150k, plus stock options.
Annual gross income of spouse: 60k,

Type of employment: Him private- tech company .Her public service - HSE
In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?
I’d say usually saving but recently lots of spending with a new house and baby on the way

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Home Owner home value €700k
Mortgage None - home owned outright,
Maybe 100k cash savings
Defined contribution pension fund: He contributes 10% which is matched by employer.
Curent fund value about 120k.
Also has 15 years of contributions to a public sector scheme
Partner is on the Single Public Service Pension Scheme .About 8 years of contributions.
Company shares : Has about 80k of shares in the company which he works forr (with more to vest in the future)plans to sell these and wants advice on what to do with the money

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc

None, one car owned outright .

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

His main query was what to do with the money in company shares - I advised that in my completely amateur opinion having 80k worth of shares in the company in he works for isn’t a great idea.

I suggested maybe ETFs, Berkshire Hathaway shares or Uk investment trusts as an alternative, but that maximising out pension contributions makes the most sense . He wasn’t that keen on this as I think he didn’t want to lock away the money for so long. I also mentioned that if he thought he might need access to the money in the short term then something like prize bonds would make sense.

Was my advice reasonable? Should I advise him to see a professional advisor?

I advised that in my completely amateur opinion having 80k worth of shares in the company in he works for isn’t a great idea.

Good advice. Likewise having €100k cash is not a good idea either.

They should max their pension contributions as it's the best long-term savings vehicle.

The only reason why they might not do this is if they have some definite need for the money e.g. to trade up. But it should be a definite plan to trade up rather than an idea that it might be nice to trade up sometime.

Brendan

Thanks for the replies.

I just thought of something - even though he only contributes 10% of his salary to his pension, he actually doesn’t have that much scope to increase as only the first 115,000 is reckonable for tax relief. I guess the idea would be for her to start making PRSA AVC contributions?

Don’t think there are any plans to trade up - house is newly acquired but there has been mention of using it as rental property if/when they inherit her family home. To be honest the 100k was an estimate from me - but I do think these is substantial cash.

In terms of the company shares, I’m not sure if he has massive confidence in the company going forward sand is actively looking at other opportunities.

At 38 he can contribute 20% of €115k which is €23k

He is putting in €15k.

So he can add in €8k for 2022.

I think he can add €8k for 2021 as well.

Can his wife add €12k a year as well?

Brendan

At 38 he can contribute 20% of €115k which is €23k

He is putting in €15k.

So he can add in €8k for 2022.

I think he can add €8k for 2021 as well.

Can his wife add €12k a year as well?

Brendan

Thanks very much Brendan.

I think he will definitely add the 8k for last year and this - this had forgotten about the limit when talking to him and thought he could add another 15k

Aim not sure how much the wife can add (and if she would) but will mention it,

Back