mortgage brokers and access to certain lenders

settlement

Hi all,
I previously applied for a mortgage with a broker and ended up getting an offer. I paid the broker 500 and was due to pay another 500 when I got a satisfactory mortgage.
The mortgage offer was not satisfactory and then we decided to wait a few months as my circumstances were due to change.
In the meantime I checked my prospects with an online mortgage calculator and saw the best rate I can get is with avant at 1.95%.
However, I know for a fact that my broker doesn't deal with avant. Should this prompt me to seek a new broker? Or should I just proceed and possibly switch mortgages after, considering I have already spent 500? But I'm also aware that avant only deal through brokers so would it even be possible to switch to them after?
Another concern was the cost of getting another broker. Do they generally charge flat rates or a percentage of the approved mortgage? My only experience was with the previous (still technically current) broker.

Why do you need a broker to get a mortgage?

Edit: Sorry - I didn't realise that Avant only work through brokers.

Check your contract to see if you would still have to pay existing broker even if you change to another broker.
Avant have list of brokers that they work with. Ive recently gotten mortgage woth them through a broker and I did not have to pay a fee. Ring around and ask this question.

Back