Morning Ireland interviews with three people facing difficulty getting on the housing ladder

Its not called Brayruit for nothing...

Ridiculous comment TBF
According to the Irish Times* there is a lot of prejudice against Greystonians from other parts of South Dublin... the epithet 'Sand People' has been applied to them.

* ref: Ross O'Carroll Kelly

Why should an offer be accepted?

Should you be able to go to you employer and expect them to accept your offer of what you want as a wage?

Private property is a business pure and simple. I find it amazing people can't understand this concept.
Depends on your view of the public interest. Everyone but the craziest libertarians accepts that the state has the right to tax incomes and / or assets, so private property is clearly not sancosanct. So why should land, bricks and mortar be exempt from a taxation regimen that encourages productive use (in this case habitation)?

Depends on your view of the public interest. Everyone but the craziest libertarians accepts that the state has the right to tax incomes and / or assets, so private property is clearly not sancosanct. So why should land, bricks and mortar be exempt from a taxation regimen that encourages productive use (in this case habitation)?
I did not say the State should not tax income or assets. It is the level of taxation that I have an issue with or the forcing people to act in a particular way by introducing punitive tax regime.

If I did not have a car and yours was sitting outside your house and I needed a car to get to work because of no public transport to were I work should you be forced to let me use yours?

Or should you be taxed even more on your car as it is not being used productively to get me to work and others like me for the good of society and by extent public interest?

Why not go further and force companies to pay the wages you think people deserve.

When exactly do individuals accept life is about choices and you need to live with the consequences of your choices rather than always expecting to be bailed out by the State (ie the taxpayer)

I did not say the State should not tax income or assets. It is the level of taxation that I have an issue with or the forcing people to act in a particular way by introducing punitive tax regime.

If I did not have a car and yours was sitting outside your house and I needed a car to get to work because of no public transport to were I work should you be forced to let me use yours?

Or should you be taxed even more on your car as it is not being used productively to get me to work and others like me for the good of society and by extent public interest?

Why not go further and force companies to pay the wages you think people deserve.

When exactly do individuals accept life is about choices and you need to live with the consequences of your choices rather than always expecting to be bailed out by the State (ie the taxpayer)
I'm not sure why you're talking about cars. Sounds like some kind of slippery slope fallacy argument. The availability of cars is not constrained by planning policy, so is quite different from housing. Your comment around 'why not go further...' suggests to me that you may like to employ the slippery slope fallacy rather than argue a point on its merits, but apologies if I am mistaken there.

And I'm unsure why you would associate a taxation regimen to encourage people who have empty properties to put them into use with individuals 'always expecting to be bailed out by the State (ie the taxpayer)'. Most bizarre.

Despite the best efforts of estate agents, Greystones is in Wicklow, but perhaps culturally it's South Dublin :)
My parents made the move to Greystones in '79 and though I didn't want to go as a twelve year old I had no choice
My friends in school were all South Dublin based and started to slag me about being a Wicklow culchie
My only retort was that I may live in Wicklow but we're still in the 01 directory

Back