More pension or not

BillTaxman

Hi all,

I'm currently 34 years old working in the public service on the single scheme. I joined the ps late (4 years ago) and have no private pension.
My average earnings over the last 3 years was approx. 110k.

This year my salary is ~130k rising to ~140k over the next two years where it will cap out. I would expect to be a good candidate for promotion at some point in the coming years which would potentially bring my salary to €170-€200k but obviously nothing is guaranteed.

I have 300 euro in savings (over half my life savings are in my wallet right now!) but made the last payment on my house and now own it outright with a value of approx €500k - the house is suitable for the rest of my life and I don't see myself moving or needing any major work done to it.

Is there scope for me to fund avcs or are there any limits I may hit due to my potentially large ps pension? Another factor I think about is the opportunity cost of locking more money away long term, up until now I've lived a fairly penurious existence spending many hard years in full-time education, internships, etc and have been working extremely hard for the last few years since qualification.

I'm lucky that at some point in the future (hopefully distant) I will inherit assets worth today approx. 2 million after tax etc. I've never really factored this into my life plans but I think it's relevant to decisions I make in the present about the future as I feel that when I am older I will have plenty of money but currently and previously have had very little. Does it make sense for me in this scenario where I'll possibly have locked away a big ps pension + a big inheritance for my older years to lock away more in the present to have slightly more for retirement?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Last edited:
Probably needs a Money Makeover post using the template provided in that forum in order to get useful feedback.

Back