Moore film will topple Bush

Re: stupid white men

darag - who would you recommend instead of Michael M then to read

For what it is worth I'd recommend Noam Chomsky.

dilbert - i think al franken is superior to moore, if you really dislike american conservatism. i've become used to reading this guy most days. at least he often links to interesting stuff and in fact it recently reminded me of the ozone thing regarding moore. he also covers a lot of personal finance; it's not really all that applicable to us here but it can be interesting also. also, subscribe to the online new york times and the la times (both free); they have some very good columnists. i liked reading chomsky also and have a lot of respect for him especially for his academic work but i think he's gone a bit too x-files. i haven't listened to him in a few years but i'd be interested in seeing how he reacted to the events of the last few years in east timor.

Noam Chomsky another anti-western terrorist appeasing fool. Don't go there.

"Noam Chomsky another anti-western terrorist appeasing fool. Don't go there."

You and Max Hopper aren't cousins by any chance True Blue, are you?

OK, had a browse on Amazon and am going to try :

Lies (and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them) - Al Franken and Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky - Noam Chomsky

Should be interesting - whether I agree with them or not.

Noam Chomsky

Darag I have immense respect for Noam Chomsky's gigantic intellect and integrity regarding abuses of power in contemporary international politics - regardless of who is the abuser! He is currently speaking out publicly against the manner in which Iraq was 'freed'/'invaded' (which incidentally, folks, does NOT mean he loves the dictator Saddam Hussein). Parkinson did a short T.V. interview with him last week. Rivetting.

Re: Parkie & Chomsky

Marie, I'd love to see that interview — I presume it was made while he was still at the Beeb, before his move to ITV? If so, there's a chance it might be/become available in the online archives...

Dr. M.

Re: Parkie & Chomsky

hi marie. while I'm an admirer, i'm not an uncritical fan of chomsky's but i've to admit it's been a few years since i've read him. at the time i felt that he had a slight bias towards seeing conspiracies rather than accepting that many people are simply indifferent towards distant human suffering. i'm interested in hearing how (or whether) he revised this theories given that eventually something was done to get the indonesians out of east timor. having said that, he deserves credit for raising the profile of the plight of the east timorese even if his theories about it have been refuted to some degree by subsequent events.

Back