monthly sign on - wont be here

lalabobo

Hi there,
I recently applied for jobseekers benefit and was told to sign on next month but I will be out of the country on this date, this was booked before I signed on. who should i tell or what should i do??
thanks

Yes, it means you are unavailable for work but as far as I know you are entitled to take a "holiday". Check with you local social welfare office, it's common enough for this to happen.

You are entitled to two weeks holidays per year without it affecting your unemployment benefit payments. Let Social Welfare know before you leave and when you are due back.

Freedom of Information: Jobseekers Benefit
(a) Absence from the State
A person shall be disqualified from receiving JB (including increases in respect of a Qualified Adult/dependents) while s/he is absent from the State.
There are two exceptions to this disqualification:
A person may receive JB for 2 weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.
S/he is required to inform the Local Office 2 weeks in advance of his/her departure and to complete the form UP 30. All holiday payments should be made retrospectively, upon confirmation of the position when the person signs on again (on the next normal signing day after his/her return). If a person goes on holiday for longer than 2 weeks, s/he may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but should be disqualified for any period abroad in excess of this.
The Qualified Adult (QA) of a person in receipt of JB may take up to 2 weeks foreign holiday. A disqualification in respect of the increase for a QA should be imposed in respect of any period in excess of 2 weeks. It is not necessary for a UP30 to be completed in respect of a QA.

Back