Monitoring heating oil usage

Just one possible flaw (in addition to the 10sec delivery time)... doesn't the burner stop when it reaches some set max temp ? If so, the place I've wired the timer doesn't know about this and I'd really need to find some wire in the burner which I can connect on to in order to really know then its running.
Isn't that the same flaw as mentioned here?
Now that i ve said it out loud i ve noticed a flaw in my system which throws out my figures. My boiler will cut in and out depending on water temp but my control panel keeps counting if power is going to boiler. This is nullified somewhat by using output delay on the stats to prevent excessive cycling but would not be perfect.
and why it was suggested that you wire the timing meter off the boiler's thermostat:
Here's an hour meter from Radionics.ie that you would wire on the cable off the stat on boiler to the burner.

[broken link removed]

Yeah ennisjim it would be much better for you to fit that meter out at the burner, you can remove the control box and find the L and N supply coming in and wire the meter off that or fit a small junction box on the feed wire to the burner from the thermostat on the boiler.

Where you have fitted it in the UH2 you are only getting the same reading as the touchpad history.

Well spotted Clubman. My recollection of the thread contents are not what it should be considering I started the thread :eek:

Hi davidoco, thanks for hint on wiring.

Re. touchpad history... it may not be the same when there's a buffer tank (as in my case). As far as I know the history records time a stat called for heat which does not necessarily match the time the boiler was told to come on.

Hi davidoco, thanks for hint on wiring.

Re. touchpad history... it may not be the same when there's a buffer tank (as in my case). As far as I know the history records time a stat called for heat which does not necessarily match the time the boiler was told to come on.

I'm not familiar with buffer tank setups. I guess the boiler feed is wired through the a stat on the buffer tank which would mess up the history allright.

With your meter now are you on the way to this sort of house. All you need now is somewhere to start posting your findings www.bwired.nl

Forget about counting hours lads, here is a meter that can directly measure oil usage over a short period ...

[broken link removed]

Back