Money sent to wrong account

B

bobbyjoe

Having a problem with the bank at the moment.
I pay my rent using AIB 24hour call line. I usualy say something like see the payment for x (rent amout) last month. Can you pay that again please. Been doing it for months no problem.
Did the same thing just before December but this time it was sent to an old direct debit I had set up. Years ago I used it for another landlord. The rent has now gone into this guys account. He lives abroad so I have to contact him or his solicitor to get it sent back to me. I know him pretty well so think he'll do it. Problem is I have the current landlord onto me but this will take at least a week to sort out.

Is this my own fault or the Banks? Is the Bank liable for anything?
Also what can I do if he refuses to return it?

Thanks for any advice.

It looks like the bank made the error and it is up to them to sort it out, you shouldn't have to contact the guy to ask for the return of the money.

Unless of course you weren't clear in your instructions to the customer service official over the phone? When you say 'I usually say', does this mean you may not have been clear in your instructions?

The fact that you have been doing it 'for months' should be in your favour.

In future, I would advise that you get internet banking set up or else pay by direct debit/standing order/over the counter lodgement etc. so that you protect yourself against 'human error'.

Thanks for the reply.
Got it sorted. He sent an email to the bank telling them what happened. I gotta go to his branch get the cash then lodge it into the right account.

I'd say the fault was fifty fifty, probably could have been clearer with the instructions!!! Know now.

Back