Modular house cost

Carnmore

I'm thinking of getting a modular-type house made with pre-insulated sections /panels . It would be well insulated (not quite passive), single storey with a flat roof. The spec would be average with no special features.

A main contractor will be supplying the modules and I want to know how much I should expect to pay.

Can anyone provide an approx. cost per square metre / foot?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
"Modular"?

A forty foot reefer?
A hotel module like that TravelLodge in London?
Uber simple Huf Haus shed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you show us an example of this modular house and the modular panels been provided by the contractor.

I was at the Ideal Homes this year. An Irish company had built a modular bungalow about 160 sq metres and the cost they were quoting (turn key I believe) was €220k. I will try to find the brochure. Dan Wood in the UK with factories in Poland build modular homes in Ireland. Their prices are on their website.

Buy direct from the Polish factory if you can.

It could cut your price in half!

Massively over-priced imo. Has Ireland entered the era of the McMansion (wooden shed)??

I'd like to get an estimate of the cost. I have a floor plan but no working drawings yet - does anyone know where I could get an indication of price?

This really is a "how long is a piece of string" question. I think there are so many different approaches/materials/methods etc. that any cost per square foot that can be given here is meaningless.

Have you looked at the various suppliers/manufacturers? Their websites should have a contact email and they would be in a much better position to give you an estimated costing based on your requirements.

Off the top of my head I can think of Huff house in Germany, Deltec houses in the US. A google of "pre-fab homes Ireland" gave me Scanhome, weberhaus, Kaiser+kraft, timbercabins.ie, ecohouse

This really is a "how long is a piece of string" question. I think there are so many different approaches/materials/methods etc. that any cost per square foot that can be given here is meaningless.

Have you looked at the various suppliers/manufacturers? Their websites should have a contact email and they would be in a much better position to give you an estimated costing based on your requirements.

Off the top of my head I can think of Huff house in Germany, Deltec houses in the US. A google of "pre-fab homes Ireland" gave me Scanhome, weberhaus, Kaiser+kraft, timbercabins.ie, ecohouse

I'd like to get an estimate of the cost. I have a floor plan but no working drawings yet - does anyone know where I could get an indication of price?

The OP stated that the contractor is providing these panels, but has not provided any details of these panels here or in the same thread on boards.ie

People really don't understand the difference between modular houses and traditional houses, and with our Building Regulations there is no cost difference. The only true "modular" house constructed in Dublin at present is the shipping container home in Ringsend and that cost more than a traditional build.

The OP really needs to confirm what they consider modular and wonder why if there's a cheaper way of building homes in Ireland that comply with Building Regulations, why they have not been used once!

I was at the Ideal Homes this year. An Irish company had built a modular bungalow about 160 sq metres and the cost they were quoting (turn key I believe) was €220k. I will try to find the brochure. Dan Wood in the UK with factories in Poland build modular homes in Ireland. Their prices are on their website.

Sounds very expensive. Consider the below as basic costs and add on for optional extras, site etc.

GROSS BUILDING AREA / NET AREA SQM 121 / 108
EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS (WIDTH X LENGTH X HEIGHT) 9,0 x 12,0 x 8,7 m
ASSEMBLY TIME IN DAYS 6...10
STRUCTURAL KIT INCLUDES
Structural kit includes:
  • Strength graded timber as structural truss 45x245mm
  • Strength graded timber for gable walls 45x245mm
  • Battens for roof structure 30x45mm
  • Battens for wall structure 45x45mm
  • Pressure treated sill plate
  • OSB3 for floor structure 12mm and 28mm
  • Breathable underlay for roofing DIVOROLL Universal 2S
  • Vapour barrier
  • PVC windows and terrace doors U=1,2 or better
  • 3-layer glass
  • External doors and MDF internal doors
  • Building accessories as fixings, nails, WT-screws, silicone, foam etc
  • Full set of drawings for getting building permit, production and assembly
Optional extras: roofing materials, facade cladding, eaves and gable boards, internal cladding, Velux roof windows, dormer(s), insulation material, stairs, flooring materials, terrace, upgrade from PVC to wooden windows.
Structural kit does not include: transportation to the building site, building site preparations, offloading.

PRICE FROM:
28700 € +VAT

Back