Modem keeps disconnecting and windows wont shut down

positivenote

hi all,
my problem is two fold. Im working on a dimension 8400 with a gb of ram and a pt4 processor, im connected to the broadband throughh an external modem using the win XP pro OS. Recently the internet has stop connecting whislt im on line, which is always as im broadband.... it just disconects. I have to un plug my modem and shutdown the system and reboot it. However the last few times ive tried it windows has not shut down the machine. It gets to the stage where it says "windows is shutting down" with the windos logo against the blue background and it freezes. the mouse andis still active but the keyboard is not. I end up having to shut the system down at the source by holding in the power buttom for a few seconds. i know this cant be good for the system anyone got any ideas what the problem is and how to address it? thanks for any help

spyware

search for spyware threads in here

download and run all the recommended programs , usually more than once and with reboots in between

yep, sounds like spyware alright. Are you running nortons by any chance? seen this exact behaviour before with a machine that was running nortons and was infected. Had to strip nortons out and use a combination of AVG and MS spyware remover. As above, several runs and reboots to fix.

edit: just seen the mcafee bit, yes, spyware can get through it. Ive yet to see one piece of software that would block all. see the clean pc post for other options on software.

Back